[Mdabs] Urgent Help Needed

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 21 14:26:47 UTC 2015

Fellow Federationists,

All hands are needed in New York City on Wednesday, August 26. We need to
deliver a message to the New York City Public School System that they must
not discriminate against blind students. Purchasing Amazon electronic
textbooks will impede the progress of blind students in obtaining an equal
education. We will be leaving from the National Center at 11am. We will be
protesting from 4:30-6, then we will be attending the meeting, so the return
will be 11:30 pm. Please send me a note off list if you can attend. Please
read president Riccobono's message below about this important endeavor. We
are counting on you.

"Once again, Amazon, Inc. is trying to push its inaccessible technology into
public schools, despite our years of advocacy and clear warnings against the
adoption of inaccessible technology by the United States Departments of
Education and Justice. In this case, blind students throughout the New York
City public school system will be denied an equal education if the city goes
through with a proposed $30 million deal under which Amazon would construct
an electronic storefront for New York City schools and become the primary
provider of electronic textbooks and related educational materials.
Unfortunately, Amazon e-books inhibit the ability of blind students to
access complex material like tables and equations and the ability to easily
navigate through a book, among other significant accessibility barriers.

We have a chance to stop this deal. The school system's Panel for
Educational Policy, which has the final say on the deal, will meet next
Wednesday, August 26, to vote on it; and blind people must be there in force
to let the panel members and the public know that this is a bad deal for
blind students and faculty and, therefore, for New York City schools. We
must tell the panel that a vote for this deal is an outrageous act of
deliberate discrimination against blind students and an equally outrageous
and deliberate violation of federal law. We are therefore asking that you
come to the meeting for a good old National Federation of the Blind
demonstration, the kind that we can do like no one else! Following the
demonstration, we will enter the auditorium where the meeting is taking
place and participate respectfully in the meeting so that we can encourage
the school board to do the right thing and shut down this "Amazon Fail!"

Sharon Maneki, President

410-715-9596