[Mdabs] A Clarification on Washington Seminar, Day in Annapolis and Other NFB/NFBMD Events

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 00:05:25 UTC 2015

Dear Members and Friends:

I am writing to provide a clarification which I hope will clear up any
misunderstandings you might have about recent postings to this list.
Throughout the past couple weeks, much information has been shared here
about our upcoming Washington Seminar and our Day in Annapolis. As has been
stated in these emails, these events are our primary opportunities to
advocate with our state and federal legislators about the issues which
matter to us. However, I think there might be some confusion about what
these events are and who is or is not required to attend them.

I have been contacted by a few of our members who were concerned that they
were required to attend both events and may not be able to. They were also
under the impression that both events were sponsored by MDABS. To clarify,
no member is required to attend any event, whether or not MDABS is
sponsoring it. We usually ask that as many of our Board members as possible
attend all MDABS events, but we understand the various responsibilities of
life and therefore do not withhold any of the rights of membership or office
based on a member's attendance at any event. Few things are mandatory in
this organization, and we will give you plenty of advanced notice in the
event that something is deemed so.

As to the specific events in question, neither the Washington Seminar nor
the Day in Annapolis is sponsored by MDABS individually. Rather, these are
annual events held by the National Federation of the Blind and the NFB of
Maryland respectively, the state and national organizations with which we
are affiliated. These are opportunities for Federationists to make our
lawmakers aware of the legislation that is most important to us as blind
people. As members of the Maryland Association of Blind Students, we are
also members of the NFB and its Maryland affiliate. For this reason, our
state President, Sharon Maneki, is making us aware of these events so we can
take advantage of the rights and responsibilities of Federation membership
along with our non-student colleagues, including legislative advocacy at the
state and national levels. I would therefore encourage anyone who is
available to attend either or both events so our voices too will be heard.
One of our legislative priorities for this year, the TEACH Act, will have a
particular impact on blind students who are currently in college or who will
be in the future. It is especially important, then, that our lawmakers hear
from blind students on this issue. If you are unable to attend either event,
however, your membership in either MDABs or NFB will not be put in jeopardy.

I hope this letter clears up any confusion you might have on this front.
Please don't hesitate to call or email me if you have any questions. Let us
continue to further our cause, whether or not we can attend our upcoming
legislative events.

Yours in the movement,

Chris

Chris Nusbaum, Vice President

Maryland Association of Blind Students

A Division of the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland

Phone: (443) 547-2409

Email: dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com

Twitter: @Chrisn98 and @NFBMD

expectations for blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.