[Mdabs] September Minute Message

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 18 17:10:53 UTC 2015

September Minute Message from the Movement

Fellow Federationists,

The State Convention is coming. Did you pre-register for our state
convention to be held November 13-15 at the Carousel Hotel in Ocean City? Go
http://nfbmd.olivero.us/stateconventionregistration/national-federation-blin
d-maryland-2015-convention. Did you call the Carousel Hotel, 410-524-1000,
to make your reservation? Registrations must be made by October 13.
Pre-registration closes on October 19.

We will have special activities for parents of blind children, for students,
for seniors, and for diabetics. Join us for our Friday night beach party
with live music by MPSteel. Bring your beach apparel and see if you win the
contest for best looking beach bum. Dancing and more.

Thanks to our national office, a lucky person at the state convention will
receive a free KNFB Reader. This is an application that is placed on your
iPhone which enables you to read print. You must be present at the
convention to get the reader. Stay tuned for more information.

You will not want to miss the inspirational banquet address by our national
representative Jeannie Massay. Consult nfbmd.org for more details as the
convention approaches. Don't miss it!

The NFB of MD is a buzz of activity. Our interactive seminar on Living the
Life You Want with Hearing Loss and Blindness is shaping up nicely and will
be very informative. Spread the word about this important event that takes
place from 12:30-4pm at the Jernigan Institute on September 26.

I hope to see many of you at the Bid for Opportunity Dinner on October 3 in
College Park. Enjoy a nice evening while helping us raise much needed funds
for our scholarship and other youth programs.  Reservations should be made
with Debbie Brown by September 26.  Call her at 301-881-1892.

The NFBMD Senior Issues Division has resumed its monthly conference calls.
On the second Monday of each month, at 10am, join the conversation and
discuss a topic about continuing to have a meaningful life despite vision
loss. The phone number is 712-432-1500. Access Code:  759633 pound. The
topic for October 12 is developing alternative techniques for daily living.

October is Meet the Blind month. To look at local activities throughout the
state, go to nfbmd.org choose "Upcoming Events" then select "Around the
State." Visit this calendar periodically to view updates from local
chapters.

Did you know that according to the news 3 million people have completed
their holiday or Christmas shopping? If you, like me, are not one of them,
please remember to use AmazonSmile if you will be shopping online. Use this
link: http://smile.amazon.com/ref=smi_ge_rl_rd_gw?_encoding=UTF8
<http://smile.amazon.com/ref=smi_ge_rl_rd_gw?_encoding=UTF8&ein=52-1301033>
&ein=52-1301033.

Many thanks to all who participated in our campaign to get more members of
the Maryland Congressional Delegation to cosponsor HR188, the TIME,
(Transition to Integrated Meaningful Employment)  Act.  I also want to thank
those who visited with members of Congress in their district.  Maryland now
has two representatives as cosponsors, they are Congressman Chris Van Hollen
and Congresswoman Donna Edwards.

Congratulations to the Maryland students who attended a leadership seminar
on the weekend of July 24-26. This seminar was held at the Jernigan
Institute for students from Maryland, Delaware, D.C., and Virginia.  I am
sure that the Maryland students who attended this seminar will be planning
more student activities and events.

Get in shape and have fun. The parents of blind children division are
sponsoring a family hike on Saturday, October 17 at Catoctin Creek Nature
Center, 2929 Sumantown Rd, Middletown, MD 21769.  The event begins at 2pm.
For information contact Chris Day at cmdayrdh at aol.com
<mailto:cmdayrdh at aol.com> .

Show your support for LBPH by attending the Friends annual meeting on
October 24 at 10am. The library will be transformed into a spice factory as
an expert from McCormick will show us how to spice up our lives.

Here is a quick calendar summary.

September 26. NFBMD seminar for blind people who also have hearing loss.

September 30. Daniel Brown, author of The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans
and their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, speaks at the
Jernigan Institute.

October 3.  Dinner and Bid for Opportunity Auction at the Knights of
Columbus, College Park. For the benefit of the John T. McCraw Scholarship
and Youth Empowerment Stipend programs.

October 12. Senior Division conference call.

October 15. White Cane Safety Day.

October 17.  Trip to Catoctin Nature Center and Hike. Sponsored by MDPOBC.

October 24.  Friends Annual Meeting  415 Park Avenue, Baltimore, MD
10am-12:30pm.

November 13-15.  NFBMD Annual State Convention, to be held in Ocean City,
MD.

Sharon Maneki, President

410-715-9596