[Mdabs] January Minute Message

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 15 21:23:35 UTC 2016

Fellow Federationists:

Best wishes for a happy, healthy, successful New Year to everyone.

Although the New Year is in its early stages, as usual, NFBMD is off to a
quick start.  The Diabetic Action Network Committee held its first support
call on January 7.  All of the participants, even the experienced diabetics,
learned something new. These calls will be held on the first Thursday of
each month at 7 pm.  The call-in number is 641-715-3272.  The access code is
720125.  Help us spread the word to diabetics or people interested in
diabetes.

January marks the beginning of the Maryland General Assembly session.  This
year we will be going to meet the 188 members of the General Assembly on
January 21.  We need lots of participation from everyone.  Contact your
Chapter President, or contact me offline, if you can join us. We have two
main goals.  First, we must convince the General Assembly to offer greater
protection of the right of blind persons to parent their children.  We want
to shift the burden of proof to the party that makes the allegation against
the capabilities of the blind person.  If there is reason for concern the
judge must issue written findings of fact.  Before any limitation or denial
of custody rights is imposed, the judge should offer the blind person
supportive parenting services as a reasonable accommodation.  For further
information about the changes that we seek to the family law article, read
our Fact Sheet which will be on www.nfbmd.org <http://www.nfbmd.org>  under
current advocacy issues soon.

Our second issue involves the elimination of 14(c) certificates in Maryland.
Our goal is to make sure that all disabled workers will receive at least the
state minimum wage. Be sure to read our Fact Sheet to learn how the proposed
bill plans to phase out this antiquated, immoral and discriminatory
practice.  It will be on www.nfbmd.org <http://www.nfbmd.org>  under current
advocacy issues soon.

Speaking of our website, don't miss the audio of the 2015 Presidential
Report delivered at our State Convention.  A panel discussion, Living the
Lives They Want, which took place on Sunday morning at the 2015 convention,
may be heard at NFBMD.org under the "Success Stories".

Of course we will be having a State Convention in 2016.  Since this
Convention will mark the 50th Anniversary of NFBMD, we will be holding some
special celebrations.  We will be going to a prestigious hotel for our 50th
Anniversary.  Save the dates, October 28-30 for this special State
Convention so you can join us at the Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor at
Camden Yards Hotel, 110 South Eutaw Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.

Marylanders will be joining our Federation family throughout the country at
the Washington Seminar.  We will be visiting the Maryland delegation on
January 26.  We also hope to have a good showing at the Congressional
Reception to be held on January 26 at 5 pm at the Dirksen Senate Office
Building, Room G50.

Students in grades K-12 will show off their Braille reading and writing
skills at the Maryland Regional Braille Challenge on January 30.  We hope
that many students will qualify for the National Braille Challenge in June.
Good luck to all.

Please read the calendar below so that you can plan to participate.

January 21.   Day in Annapolis.  Meet at the Lowe House Office Building,
Room 142, the Anne Arundel County Delegation Room, at 8 am.

January 26.  Congressional Reception and meetings with Maryland Delegation
on Capitol Hill.

January 30.   Maryland Regional Braille Challenge to be held at the Maryland
School for the Blind.

February 4.  Diabetic Conference Call, 7 pm.

February 8.  Senior Issues Conference Call, 10 am.

March 3.  Diabetic Conference Call, 7 pm.

March 11.  Basket Bingo takes place at the Lodge 2832 Nine Mile Circle,
Catonsville.  Doors open at 6 pm.  Games begin at 7 pm.  See www.nfbmd.org
for further information and to purchase tickets.

March 14.  Senior Issues Conference Call, 10 am.

April 2.  NFBMD Board of Directors Meeting, time and place TBD.

April 7.  Diabetic Conference Call, 7 pm.

April 11.  Senior Issues Conference Call, 10 am.

April 17.  Gospel Concert to Benefit NFBMD Youth Programs at Pikesville
Seventh Day Adventist Church.

June 4.  NFBMD Board of Directors Meeting, time and place TBD.

June 30-July 5. National Convention, Orlando, Florida.

July 18-29 excluding weekends. Salisbury NFB BELL Program.

July 25-Aug 5 excluding weekends. NFB BELL Programs in Baltimore and Glenn
Dale.

August 5.  Annual Crab Feast, Columbus Gardens, Baltimore, Maryland.

August 27. NFBMD Board of Directors Meeting, time and place TBD.

October 28-30.  NFBMD 50th State Convention, Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor
at Camden Yards Hotel, Baltimore, Maryland.

Sharon Maneki, President

410-715-9596