[Mdabs] July Message

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 21 16:58:38 UTC 2016

July Minute Message

Fellow Federationists,

Great National Convention
The 76th Convention of the National Federation of the Blind was interesting,
informative, and inspiring. If you were unable to attend this event, be sure
to read the Presidential report at
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/presidential-report-2016.ht
ml>
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/presidential-report-2016.htm
l and the President's banquet speech at
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/banquet-speech-2016.html>
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/banquet-speech-2016.html. If
you did attend, I am sure that you will agree with me that both documents
are worth reading again. Once again, Maryland was the top state in
attendance at the convention.  Many thanks to Judy Rasmussen and her
committee, who reached out to Maryland convention newcomers and made them
feel welcome. Many thanks to everyone who volunteered at the Maryland table.
A special thanks to our two table coordinators, Terri Hall and Amber Woods.
Be sure to look at the 16 resolutions passed by the Convention to see the
policies and issues that we will be working on during the coming year. Go to
<https://nfb.org/2016-resolutions> https://nfb.org/2016-resolutions to read
the resolutions.

Crabbing for Scholars and More
                The news reports that this is a good season for crabs
because they are big and plentiful. Check it out for yourself by attending
our annual Crab Feast on August 5th. Enjoy an evening of good food, music,
dancing, and prizes while helping the NFBMD John T McCraw Scholarship
Program, and our Youth Empowerment Stipend program. Go to
<http://www.nfbmd.org/crabs> http://www.nfbmd.org/crabs for more information
or to purchase tickets.

Plan for the State Convention
Everyone is cordially invited to attend the NFBMD Board of Directors meeting
on Saturday, August 27th, at 10 am. We will be meeting at the Baltimore
Marriott Inner Harbor at Camden Yards, 110 S Eutaw St, Baltimore, MD 21201,
the site of our 2016 Convention. Most of the agenda for this meeting will be
devoted to State Convention happenings. We will also have lunch at the
hotel. Save the dates October 28-30 and join us for this special convention
as we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the NFBMD. Be watching for more
information in August.
Sad News
                I am sorry to report the death of Harold Hayes on Wednesday,
July 13.  Harold was a charter member of the National Harbor Chapter.  He
was kind to all, and always willing to provide a helping hand.  May he rest
in peace.

The BELLS are Ringing for Blind Children in Maryland
In Maryland, July means it is time for the NFB BELL Academy. Six students
are attending the BELL Academy in Salisbury, which began on July 18th. Six
students will attend the Glendale Academy, and 14 students will attend the
Baltimore BELL Academy. These two programs begin on July 25th. Many thanks
to the teachers and volunteers that make these three programs possible. We
look forward to hearing about all of the progress that these children will
make as they gain literacy skills, self-confidence, and greater
independence.

Parent's Back-to-School Picnic

                The Maryland Parents of Blind Children are sponsoring a
back-to-school picnic for families.