[Mdabs] September Message

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 16 21:11:06 UTC 2016

September Minute Message

Fellow Federationists,

BID FOR OPPORTUNITY

October is Meet the Blind Month and we are starting it off with a great
event. Please attend our Bid for Opportunity Dinner and Auction on Saturday,
October 1 at 6 pm.  The event takes place at the College Park Knights of
Columbus, 9450 Cherry Hill Road, College Park, MD 20740.  Tickets are $40.
For more information contact Debbie Brown deborahb14 at verizon.net
<mailto:deborahb14 at verizon.net>  or Michelle Clark mcikeyc at aol.com
<mailto:mcikeyc at aol.com> . Help us raise much needed funds to continue our
scholarship and youth stipend programs.
Be sure to go to www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org>  to view local chapter
events for Meet the Blind Month.  They will be listed under "upcoming
events," then go to the "around the state" link.

PRESIDENTAL ELECTION AND EARLY VOTING

In October the local channel of NFB Newsline will have a section on the
ballot information for the upcoming presidential and state elections on
November 8.  This is a good way to prepare for voting before you get to the
polling place. There are frequently state and local questions and local
candidates, such as people running for the Board of Education that never
make radio or TV news.  This is the best way to keep track of everything
that will be on the ballot.

Remember, each polling place will have an accessible voting machine. The
polling officials should inform you of this.  If they don't, ask for it
anyway because we have the right to vote independently and privately.

If you wish you may vote early.  Early voting takes place from Thursday,
October 27 through Thursday, November 3.  Early voting locations are open
from 8 am - 8 pm.   Contact your local board of elections to find out the
early voting location nearest to you.

If you wish to vote by absentee ballot go to
https://voterservices.elections.maryland.gov/OnlineVoterRegistration/Instruc
tionsStep1 and request this ballot.  You may fill out the ballot on line but
you must print the form, sign it, and send it to the appropriate local board
of elections. Both the request form and the on line ballot are accessible.
Be sure to vote and make your voice heard.

CONVENTION CHECKLIST

As you prepare to come to the Golden Anniversary Convention of the NFBMD,
here is a checklist of things that you should do.

*      Make your hotel reservation by October 1. Call 1-800-228-9290.  You
must tell them you are registering for the NFBMD Convention.  Use the
initials, not the full name.  Staying at the hotel will make it easier to
participate in all of our nighttime activities.  On Friday evening we have
pizza and a play from 6-8 pm. After the play, dance with the stars at our
Jazz Party from 8:30-11:30 pm.  After the banquet on Saturday night we will
have the Gold Cup Crab race.  You will hear more about this at the
convention.
There will be a special door prize drawing for 2 items - the only people
eligible for these prizes will be people who are staying at the hotel.  One
of the door prizes is a scrumptious free breakfast with our National
Representative Gary Wunder.  The other prize is a weekend getaway in
Baltimore.  The prize is valued at over $500.  It includes an overnight stay
and breakfast for 2 at the Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore hotel; 2 VIP
passes to more than 2 dozen of Baltimore's best-loved attractions, sites,
museums and tours; and a  $50 restaurant certificate to the Food Market on
the Avenue in Hampden.

*      Preregister and buy your banquet and lunch tickets. Go to
www.nfbmd.org <http://www.nfbmd.org>  . As usual, there will be a lunch
sponsored by the Senior Issues Division and a lunch sponsored by the Parents
of Blind Children Division. Both lunches take place on Saturday October 29.
Pre-registration closes on October 8.

*      BOOK YOUR CONVENTION TOURS by OCTOBER 15.
Tour 1 - Oriole Park

Come see Oriole Park at Camden Yards from a whole new perspective. Enjoy the
charm of the ballpark from club level suites, the press level, the
scoreboard/JumboTron control room, and even the Orioles dugout.