[Mdabs] Second Urgent Action Needed in Maryland

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 21 19:06:06 UTC 2017

Hello all,

Many thanks to everyone who sent emails and made calls.  Each House passed
its library bill.  Now we are waiting for each House to pass the others
bill.

We need urgent action on SB424 - The Textbook Cost Savings Act of 2017.
This bill calls upon the University of Maryland and the Maryland State
Department of Education to develop online open sourced textbook materials.
This bill must be amended to ensure accessibility for all blind students.
Since this will affect both K-12 and students in higher education it is
essential to have an accessibility requirement.  As I said in the previous
message, you must send emails or call on Wednesday March 22 and Thursday
March 23.  This bill will be considered by the House Appropriations
Committee and we must ask them to amend the bill to require accessibility as
recommended by the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland.  Remember
the email address is  <mailto:firstname.lastname at house.state.md.us>
firstname.lastname at house.state.md.us  I will provide the phone extensions.
The general number is either 410 841-xxxx or 301 858-xxxx

House Appropriations Committee
Del. Maggie McIntosh, Chair, Room H121, x3407, District 43
Del. Tawanna Gaines, Vice-Chair, Room H121, x3058, District 22
Del. Benjamin Barnes, Room H151, x3046, District 21
Del. Wendell Beitzel,  Room H309, x3435, District 1A
Del. Mary Beth Carozza, Room H203, x3356, District 38C
Del. Mark Chang, Room H160, x3511, District 32
Del. Barrie Ciliberti, Room H324, x3080, District 4
Del. Jefferson Ghrist, Room H410, x3555, District 36
Del. Robin Grammer, Jr., Room H307, x3298, District 6
Del. Ana Sol Gutierrez, Room H404, x3181, District 18
Del. Keith Haynes, Room H363, x3801, District 44A
Del. Shelly Hettleman, Room H311, x3833, District 11
Del. Michael  Jackson, Room H204, x3103, District 27B
Del. Adrienne Jones, Room H312, x3391, District 10
Del. Marc  Korman, Room H210, x3649, District 16
Del. Carol  Krimm, Room H215, x3472, District 3A
Del. Clarence  Lam, Room H214, x3205, District 12
Del. Brooke  Lierman, Room H311, x3319, District 46
Del. Tony McConkey, Room H163, x3406, District 33
Del. Michael  McKay, Room H322, x3321, District 1C
Del. Aruna Miller, Room H426, x3090, District 15
Del. Kirill Reznik, Room H225, x3039, District 39
Del. Theodore  Sophocleus, Room H162, x3372, District 32
Del. Geraldine Valentino-Smith, Room H427, x3101, District 23A
Del. David  Vogt III, Room H319, x3118, District 4
Del. Pat  Young, Jr., Room H306, x3544, District 44B

Sharon Maneki, President
410-715-9596
blindness is not what holds you back.