[Mdabs] Paid research opportunity at Johns Hopkins

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 20:15:25 UTC 2017

If you are totally blind or have minimal light perception, and no
 cognitive disabilities, please consider participating in the study
 below. Study participants are compensated $30 per hour, plus travel.

 The Neuroplasticity and Development Lab in the Department of
 Psychological and Brain Sciences at Johns Hopkins University is
 seeking participants for a psychology research study. The purpose of
 this study is to investigate how lifetime experience shapes the human
 brain. We are particularly interested in how the brain adapts to the
 absence of vision. To answer this question we use neuroimaging to
 compare the brains of individuals with different life histories:
 adults who grew up with normal vision, those who were born blind, and
 those who became blind later in life.

 Participating in this research study involves having an MRI scan.
 During the scan participants listen to sentences and sounds, touch
 objects, and answer simple questions about what they hear and feel.
 The study typically lasts between 1 and 3 hours and participants are
 compensated $30 per hour for their time.

 To qualify for this study you must be a healthy, totally blind adult
 between the ages of 18 and 75 with no metal or electronic devices in
 or on your body. Prior to taking part in the study we would ask you to
 complete a pre-screening interview over the phone to ensure that you
 qualify. The screening interview takes between 15 and 30 minutes and
 those who take part in the interview receive a $15 Amazon gift card.

 To learn more, please contact the lab either by calling (410) 870-9895
 or emailing plasticity_lab at jhu.edu.

 Thank you for taking the time to read this announcement.