[Mdabs] Spring Braille Spectator

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Sun May 21 15:56:17 UTC 2017

THE BRAILLE SPECTATOR SPRING 2017
A semi-annual publication of the National Federation of the Blind of
Maryland.
Judy Rasmussen, editor
Published on  <http://www.nfbmd.org> www.nfbmd.org and on NFB Newsline by
The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland
Sharon Maneki, President
Comments and questions should be sent to  <mailto:nfbmd at earthlink.net>
nfbmd at earthlink.net
In this issue:
*         Accessibility Matters
*         Federationists Tell Their Stories
*         50th Anniversary Convention Highlights
*         The Spirit of the Federation in Maryland before NFBMD
*         Celebrating Fifty Years of Progress in Maryland:  a Report from
the President
*         Maryland Ballot Markers for the Blind can be used by any Voter
*         Spectator Specs

Accessibility Matters
(Editor’s Note:  Beginning with this issue of the Braille Spectator we are
initiating a new column called “Accessibility Matters.”  Please send ideas
and materials to Judy Rasmussen judyras at sprynet.com
<mailto:judyras at sprynet.com> .)

In the 2017 session of the Maryland General Assembly we sought legislation
to improve the enforcement of the states existing accessibility laws.  We
wanted to establish consequences for vendors who sold inaccessible software
and information technology to the state.  We also wanted the state to assign
responsibility for accessibility to an accessibility officer so that
products could be tested to ensure real accessibility.  Currently, two
often, vendors check the box that their product is accessible when it is
not.  Many thanks to the Senate of Maryland for their willingness to pass
SB439.  The bill did not become law because the House Health Government
Operations Committee failed to take action.  However, the committee did
instruct the Maryland Department of Disabilities to work with the Department
of Information Technology and the National Federation of the Blind to remove
accessibility barriers.  The committee instructions read in part: “By
December 1, 2017 please submit to the Committee an update on any progress
that has been made on the issue and recommendations regarding any potential
legislation for consideration next session.”

On March 1 Judy Rasmussen offered the following testimony to the House
Health Government Operations Committee on HB1140/SB439 to demonstrate the
problems that state employees face due to lack of accessibility.
“I am here to testify in support of HB1140/SB439. I have been a blind state
employee for the past 11 years. In the past two or three years, doing my job
has become increasingly difficult due to changes the state has made in terms
of how we access our e-mail, scan documents, and submit our time sheets.
It is quite clear to me and those with visual impairments that nobody is
"minding the store" when it comes to testing and implementation of the
software which we are expected to use to provide timely customer service,
one of Governor Hogan's priorities for state employees.
Let me begin with submission of time sheets. Recently, state employees were
asked to submit their time sheets electronically, which is not bad in and of
itself. However, Maryland purchased timekeeping software called Workday. I
know for certain that no one who used our standard screen reading software,
JAWS (Job Access With Speech) or ZoomText (which magnifies the print on the
screen) tested the Workday software before it was purchased, or for that
matter, until a few weeks before it was scheduled to be rolled out. When
some state personnel were finally given a preview of the software and raised
accessibility issues, they were told "This system was designed for the many,
not for the few."
Just a couple of weeks before implementation and mandatory use, employees
with visual impairments were asked to begin testing the Workday software.
The hundreds of hours of time spent by nearly 20 people to point out the
inaccessibility of the software in its current form, not to mention
conference calls and face-to-face meetings was astounding and shameful.
While some improvements were made, there was still much work to be done to
make Workday easily usable with screen readers. The response we continued to
receive was that the accessible version would be released in a few months.
In March an updated version of the Workday software is scheduled to be
released. Since the "accessible" version is still not ready, state employees
with visual impairments will be given a very short time to determine whether
the new standard version is usable. According to the current timetable, the
new Workday is scheduled to be released on March 10. To my knowledge, no
timetable has been given for the release of the accessible version. Again,
we are playing catch up and forced to find workarounds to accomplish the
essential task of submitting time sheets when they are due. If "the many"
had found this software too difficult to use, I am sure that implementation
would have been delayed until its usability issues had been corrected.
Sending And Receiving Secure e-mail: Exchanging private information in a
secure manner is essential in this day and age. In an effort to send
confidential information in a secure manner, the state now requires
employees to send and receive e-mail via a system called Virtrue. Again,
nobody tested Virtrue to see if it would be reliably usable by people who
use screen reading software.
The concept is that you verify who you are and then unlock the e-mail you
have been sent. The difficulty arises when the Virtrue software often won't,
for whatever reason, allow people who use screen readers to unlock the
e-mail, which defeats the whole purpose of sending it securely. In addition,
reading attachments is nearly impossible in this system, which often renders
the e-mail useless, unless the blind employee is able to obtain assistance
from a sighted employee. While blind employees have done what they could to
see that changes are made, Virtrue remains a difficult and unproductive
program to use. Again, employees with visual impairments have been left
behind because forethought was not given to whether Virtrue is an efficient
and accessible program to use by all state employees.
Scanning Documents: In an effort to reduce the number of paper files
created, the state instituted a policy whereby all important documents were
to be scanned and then uploaded into a database. All of the scanners which
have been purchased have flat screens and are in no way usable by blind
employees. Once the files are scanned, they contain only images of the paper
documents. This means that the words appear on the screen, but screen
reading programs need the actual text in order to present it to the user. If
a blind person wanted to apply for a position as a secretary, he/she would
be unable to perform the essential functions of the job because of the
inaccessibility of the scanning process.
Outlook and Google Chrome: State employees will soon all be required to use
the Google Chrome web browser to access their Gmail accounts. This has
created another problem for employees who use screen reading software.
Accessing multiple calendars in Google Chrome is nearly impossible. While
e-mail can be read using Google Chrome, the process which must be employed
by screen reader users is inefficient and requires many keystrokes to
accomplish a task that would only take seconds if the system were
accessible. Due to these productivity issues, all blind employees have been
allowed to continue using Microsoft Outlook to access their Gmail accounts.
This sounds good in theory. However, every time an update is made, or
whenever the system goes offline, Outlook doesn't synchronize with Google,
and it is often difficult to get back online quickly.
If the procurement article is amended as proposed in HB1140/SB439, nonvisual
accessibility will become a standard operating procedure, rather than an
afterthought.”

Federationists Tell Their Stories
Editor’s note:  The following six stories were originally posted on the
NFBMD Facebook page.  We are reprinting them because of the inspiration and
hope they provide and in case you missed them.  Look for additional stories
in the next issue.  Many thanks to our Facebook committee ably chaired by
Karen Anderson and all of the authors for sharing why they are
Federationists.

Ronza Othman
I was born just a few months after my parents and five older siblings came
to the United States as Palestinian refugees. When I was 14 months old, my
uncle noticed that “something wasn’t right” and convinced my mother to take
me to the eye doctor. My family learned that I was legally blind, but we had
come from a culture where people with disabilities are hidden in back rooms
and don’t have opportunities to participate in society. And so “blind” is
really a bad word. In the Arab culture, it’s not just not respectable to be
blind, it’s something to hide because it shames the entire family.

My mother made it her mission to find every doctor who could suggest
treatments. When she accepted that treatment wasn’t an option, she shifted
her goal to finding every teacher who could teach me. She was going to make
sure that I would live a full, meaningful, independent life regardless of
blindness. She refused to hide me, even though we didn’t use the word blind.
I learned how to read, how to write, and how to use what little sight I had
to get along as though I were sighted. I used some alternative techniques
related to cooking, construction, and non-academic tasks. I just didn’t know
they were non-visual techniques – they were just the way that my mom or
siblings taught me to do things. I did well academically, but I suffered
from eye strain, headaches, and severe back pain from leaning forward to
bring my face inches from the words. I remember thinking often: “There’s got
to be a better way.”

And thus I didn’t really realize I was blind or that the word applied to me
until one day in college when I was walking across the campus and dove out
of the way of a drunk driver. I stumbled into a construction hole I hadn’t
seen. I broke my ankle, and I thought: “There’s got to be a better way.”

I began attending law school where I had to read and analyze a great deal in
a short time. I could not visually keep up with the assignments and I was
falling farther and farther behind my classmates. Once again, I thought:
“There’s got to be a better way.”

I stumbled across a scholarship program, figuratively this time, for the
National Federation of the Blind. I applied and, though I was not chosen for
the national program, I was chosen for a State scholarship. That is the
first exposure I had to the myriad of better ways. I was invited to a State
Convention, where my parents only allowed me to go if I brought a family
member or family friend along to stay in the hotel room with me because
where I come from, “Muslim girls don’t sleep outside of their fathers’
houses without a chaperone.” The NFB accepted my cultural idiosyncrasies
even though bringing someone along to the hotel room was contrary to some of
the goals of lodging winners at the convention in the first place.

I met lots of people who were successful blind people. I thought I had been
successful, but when I attended that first NFB convention and met over 100
other blind people who were out in the world reading independently without
eye strain and headaches, traveling independently and avoiding construction
holes with long white canes, using technology, human readers, and other
methods to access information simultaneously with the sighted world, and all
of the other things to which I didn’t even know existed
I realized the NFB
knew what I didn’t – not just that there was a better way, but how I could
find all the better ways. And this is #WhyImAFederationist

Rachel Olivero
As a child I was blessed with family that always encouraged me. There was
never an outward hint of, “we have no idea how you can do that as a blind
person.” Who knows what they were actually thinking, but the message was
that of positivity and encouragement. Fortunately, as a general rule I
embraced that philosophy. What I wasn’t always sure of was the actual how of
doing certain things without sight.

In 2001, I was invited by then National Federation of the blind of Wisconsin
president Mark Riccobono to attend the national convention in Philadelphia.
This would be the first time I would travel without family or a school
chaperone. My new federation friends assured me that they had it all under
control and there would be no issues. In fact, they had it so under control
that Mr. Riccobono challenged me to change planes, at O’Hare airport,
wearing sleep shades. At this time in my life, I was still referring to
myself as, “visually impaired,” so it was a bit of a step out of my comfort
zone to try this. Nevertheless, with a small amount of trepidation, I took
the proffered sleep shades and off we went. Sixteen years later, I don’t
recall the details of the experience, except to say we successfully evaded
an attempt to place us in the “holding area for people like you”. No cart
for us, thank you very much. We walked. On our own. News flash: No one died.
The experience was a positive one and left me feeling empowered. That
feeling continued, and grew, throughout the week as I met, and was
frequently put to work by, blind students, computer science professionals,
teachers, parents, and every other label imaginable. No matter the
differences, the one thing they all had in common was their blindness, and
their unending confidence that blindness was a characteristic, not a
limitation. I left that week in Philadelphia knowing that this organization
was something I wanted to be a part of. That convention gave me the
knowledge that there were other blind people that would be there if I ever
needed suggestions or support.

I’m lucky, and thankful, that blindness hasn’t caused a lot of resistance in
my life. From the support of family during my early years, to the
encouragement of friends, to the emergency management director who I never
saw blink an eye when I said, “I want to take the CERT class. You can teach
me to get people out from under a collapsed wall too, right?” to all those
who supported my gender transition. I’ve generally never felt that I
couldn’t do something as a blind person. However, it’s the love, hope, and
determination of my family in the National Federation of the Blind, that has
given me the extra strength and answered the, ‘but how do I
” And that is
#WhyImAFederationist

Isabel Espinales
I was born in Nicaragua. At 10 years old, I was forced to leave my country
to escape death threats because of my father’s reputation in the military. I
came to America, went through school, and then worked as a nurse in
hospitals and nursing homes. I was first exposed to blindness by my
patients; yet, I only saw the first stages of vision loss and not the
aftermath of how they succeeded.

Then I too became blind. I lost my vision 2 years ago due to Diabetes. I
felt that my life completely stopped. I felt stuck, overwhelmed, and so
depressed that I considered suicide. But thanks to God, I was surrounded by
family and friends who supported me and refused to let me quit. I worried
about what job I could have, how I could get around, and who would
understand me. But the hardest part about blindness was that I had to depend
on people after being independent for so many years.

One year ago, I decided to get training in an adult blindness program. It
showed me that I can go back to being independent and it also introduced me
to the National Federation of the Blind. I participated in the 6-Dot Dash
race, which was the first time I was surrounded by so many blind people.
Soon after, I was asked by Sharon Maneki and Melissa Riccobono to volunteer
as a translator for Spanish-speaking parents who were learning tools to
better raise their blind children. I fell in love with the kids and the
parents. I fell in love with the NFB because of all that they do to pave the
way for blind persons and to spread the message that it is okay to be blind.
I felt that I found a new family. At my first national convention, I was
initially overwhelmed by even more blind people in one area. Yet I soon
realized that I was surrounded by talented, powerful, and professional
people who achieved their goals, and blindness was not an obstacle for them.
That gave me more power to press forward and finish the training program, go
back to school, become a Physical Therapist, and reenter the medical field
with boldness. Meanwhile, I will also continue helping the NFB in any way
that I can, both in my state and nationally.

To anyone who is losing vision or is blind, I encourage you not to give up.
That should never be an option. You have to get your mind together, get
yourself together, and keep pushing forward. If you need a family, a group
of people who understand and who fight every day for equality and
opportunity for blind people, then consider joining the National Federation
of the Blind. For me, this was the greatest opportunity to use my gift of
advocacy and stand up for the rights of blind persons. It also ignited my
passion to encourage and educate more Spanish-speaking blind persons and
their families. The tools, resources, and support that I received are meant
to be passed on to others. Because of the Federation, I feel that I am a
part of change. I am learning, growing, and sharing with others.
#WhyImAFederationist

Teresa Romero Graham
My name is Teresa; most people refer to me as the blind girl’s mom or
Naudia’s mom...

I walked into the doors of the National Federation of the Blind in 2008 when
Naudia was three years old. I felt like I was the only parent who had a
blind child which was worrisome as a parent. Ms. Farber from the infant and
toddlers program was coming to my home at the time. She was teaching me how
to teach Naudia certain tactical skills such as, potty training, walking,
etc.

In December of 2008, I was told that Naudia was three years-old and it would
be time for school. I enrolled her into my local school not knowing any
better. The school began to ask me questions on how I wanted my daughter to
learn. At that time I had no clue, but I attended an IEP meeting where I sat
in front of a panel of four people that asked questions. The option to learn
by audio seemed like the best option, in my opinion. I assumed that since
they were teachers, they would know best. I also assumed this was routine.
However, when they continued to question me I felt as if they were unsure
about to teach Naudia everything she needs to learn/know before
Kindergarten. I felt my expectations was fading away as I sat across the
table it was overwhelming to say the least.

Summer time came by and the school said that a meeting for ESY would be
held. What was ESY? They said it’s just summer school and to not worry
because Naudia didn’t need to attend; great, I thought! When I attended the
ESY, I found out that the county I lived in couldn’t afford the ESY program.
It wasn’t so much that she didn’t need it, I just thought it was unfair.
Someone attending that meeting whispered in my ear as if it was a secret
society, and suggested I contact the NFB. I went on the internet to do my
research. The next morning I was waiting at the NFB, waiting for them to
open. As I pulled up to their beautiful building, I stared with amazement
when seeing so many people with canes walking alone; it was an enlightening
moment.

I approached the front desk receptionist and informed her that I have a
blind child, what do I do? The lady said she would get someone for me. They
put me in contact with Susan Polanski who is Jason’s mother. She said she
wasn’t located in the building, but would be happy to talk and answer any
questions or concerns that I may have. It was hard for me to open up
initially, but a wonderful thing at the same time. It has been a joyous
experience more than anything else. My mind was eased in knowing that I was
doing what I thought was right for my daughter and the joy came from seeing
my attitude towards blindness change.

Susan and I stayed in touch on a constant basis; she had so much information
to offer. She gave me hope and shared her useful knowledge. She inspired me
to be the parent I needed to be for my child. Within months, I looked at my
circumstances in a new light and knew that I needed to prepare for my
daughter’s future. The answer of “I don’t know” was not an answer any
longer. I wanted her to grow up in a place where she felt “normal”, so I
decided to get more involved with the NFB.

I learned that the more I reached out, the more they would respond about the
various types of situations, but one that would change her life completely
in knowing my rights and what an INDIVIDUALIZED EDUCATION PROGRAM truly is;
I no longer felt alone. I met countless families and other blind adults who
I interviewed with and I still continue to do so. I met a man by the name of
Marco Carranza at my first state convention and followed him around as he
would interact and walk with his cane with such confidence. He appeared
happy as if that was unheard of, and I can smile about that now. That was my
“wow” moment and decided that’s how I want my daughter to be like Mr.
Carranza. I encouraged my other kids to come along anytime and they too have
learned so much.

Many people comment they could not do what I do as if raising a blind child
with such high expectations was difficult, but I respond “I do what you do
with yours and my other two”. Someone once said to me, “Why do I pretend
that my child isn’t blind and why would I live in denial?” I can laugh about
that now. This journey has not been easy, but who’s to say raising children
in general was going to be easy. Regardless of such, I thank God for guiding
me to the NFB and meeting my NFB family. I feel the genuine love and they
truly care and stand up for equality. #WhyImAfederationist

Emma Mitchell
My name is Emma Jane Mitchell, and I am 21 years old. In 2012, I went into a
medically induced coma for 2 years after a surgery to correct my esophagus.
When I woke up, I had to use a breathing tube, and that’s when I realized
something was wrong with my vision. I can now only see shadows in my
peripheral vision and all of my central vision is gone.
My high school denied services for me even though they were necessary. In
order to finish schooling, I had to pretend that I could see. I would get
A+s in the courses, but as soon as I had to go to an exam without a scribe,
I would fail because I could not see it at all. I graduated high school, but
I knew that I needed some more skills to be even more successful. I did
research the summer before my freshman year of college to find ways to learn
braille, technology, and cane
travel. I successfully taught myself how to use VoiceOver on my Mac and
phone. Also during that time, I called the National Federation of the Blind
and they connected me with the Vocational Rehabilitation agency in
Pennsylvania. This connection enabled me to get more
technology for college. I also gained enough confidence to teach myself how
to use a cane while simultaneously navigating in my wheelchair.
The next thing I wanted was to find people who understood my situation and
could encourage me. My braille teacher, Conchita Hernandez, is very involved
in the NFB, and she encouraged me to do likewise. I spoke with the President
of the Maryland Association of Blind Students, Chris Nusbaum, who then
invited me to start calling into their monthly conference calls. I now serve
on the Membership committee and legislative committee for MDABS. My first
convention took place in Baltimore, MD in October 2016. It was very
overwhelming and eye-opening, and I left feeling like I have a new family, a
new place where I belong.
I am a Federationists because The National Federation of the Blind empowers
me to be the woman I want to be. It has also brought me many long-lasting
relationships with other blind people that I will never forget, such as
Jason Edward Polansky. The federation also gave me the confidence to apply
for the Honors program at George Washington University, where I go to
school. I am now an honors student and am living the life I want in college.
#
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/whyimafederationist?source=feed_text&story
_id=1325895874132961> WhyImAFederationist

Karen Anderson
I came to the Federation as a high school senior looking for free money. I
was pretty sure I knew all about “those people,” they were crazy, radicle,
all about independence, and I wanted nothing to do with them. But, I decided
that applying for the scholarship couldn’t hurt, and when I was offered one
it seemed silly to turn down a chance at free money and a weekend in a
hotel. When my friend, who also happened to be a member of the scholarship
committee, told me that she thought I should run for secretary of the
student division, I was more than a little hesitant. But, since I wanted the
free money, I decided to try to impress her by agreeing to run for office.
Much to my shock, I won the election, which meant I was now committed, at
least for a year.

The next year I attended a student leadership seminar in Baltimore, traveled
to my first national convention, and participated in Youth Slam. I began to
realize that I was surrounded, not by the crazy people I had expected, but
by an entire group of people who believed in me. They saw potential in me
that I never would have imagined, and with their encouragement I began doing
things I never dreamed were possible.

I have not always lived up to the high expectations my friends in the
Federation set for me, but I have never felt shunned or rejected. During a
time in my life when I felt like I was severely failing at pretty much
everything, my friends in the Federation gave me the wake-up call I badly
needed, and then helped me obtain the blindness skills that would allow me
to be successful. Even on the hard days I knew they loved me, and that I had
a whole organization cheering me on.

I have been a member of the federation for more than ten years now, and it
has helped shape me into the confident blind woman I am. Because of the
connections I have made, I am employed, and spend my days sharing the
encouragement and lessons in confidence I have received with other blind
people. My hope is that they realize their potential and live the lives they
want. #WhyImAFederationist

50TH ANNIVERSARY CONVENTION HIGHLIGHTS
By: Sharon Maneki
Every state convention has its own high points and special memories.  This
was especially true of our 50th anniversary convention which was held at the
Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor at Camden Yards on the weekend of October 28
– 30, 2016.   This convention claimed many firsts.  It was the first time in
decades that we held a convention in Baltimore City.  We had a special
welcome message from Jim Hunter, one of the radio broadcasters for the
Orioles.  He explained how he changes his mindset between describing the
game on the radio and commenting on the game on television.  This venue
enabled us to offer Friday afternoon tours to Oriole Park at Camden Yards
and to the Westminster Hall & Burying Grounds.  This Halloween weekend
provided the perfect backdrop for the tour of the Burying Ground which
includes the final resting places of Edgar Allen Poe, Sam Smith, and General
James McHenry.
 This convention featured the debut performance of the Braille is Beautiful
Players.  The blood- curdling scream at the end of Friday night’s production
of the radio drama, “Sorry Wrong Number,” will long haunt the memories of
everyone who attended.  All of the performers, including both new and
experienced readers, delivered their parts by reading Braille.
Convention activities also included the first ever NFB of Maryland Crab Race
fundraiser.   Many thanks to the crab racers Judy Rasmussen, AKA Fearless
Crab; Michelle Clark, AKA Cool Crab; Ellana Crew, AKA Baby Crab; Liam
Lindsay, AKA Diamond Crab; Anil Lewis, AKA Sebastian (of Disney’s Little
Mermaid Fame); and Jessie Hartle, AKA King Crab.  Many thanks also to
everyone who placed bets on their favorite crabs.  I am sure we will do this
race again since it was great fun and a huge success.  Will Fearless Crab be
able to defend her title next year?
On a more serious note, all of the living past presidents of the NFB of
Maryland were on hand to address the convention.  We were pleased that Jim
Omvig addressed the banquet remotely from his home in Iowa.  Dr. Marc Maurer
spoke about moving the national headquarters from Iowa to its present
location in Baltimore, in 1978.  Dr. Michael Gosse told us how he overcame
his struggles with state and federal bureaucracies.  Today, his company,
Data Speech Computer Solutions, Inc. is recognized as a minority business.
Melissa Riccobono was part of a panel describing how we are making systemic
changes in the local school systems by requiring more orientation and
mobility instruction for blind students.  As you can observe, all of the
living presidents of the NFB of Maryland remain active leaders in our
movement.
We were honored to have Brian Frosh, the Attorney General of Maryland,
address the convention on the subject of Protecting Civil Rights.  We look
forward to continuing to work with him on voting and other issues.
The banquet is always a special feature of every convention. Our Key Note
speaker at the banquet was Gary Wunder. Gary’s speech demonstrated why he is
the editor of The Braille Monitor. His address was thought provoking. We
especially enjoyed stories about his childhood. We awarded two scholarships
to college students, Erin Daring and Jason Polansky. Erin is a student at
Montgomery Community College, who plans to be a teacher of blind students.
Jason is a student at Messiah College in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. Both
are active in the student division, Erin is the treasurer of the Maryland
Association of Blind Students and Jason is the Treasurer of the Pennsylvania
Association of the Blind Students.
In addition to celebrating our 50th anniversary, we also celebrated the
passage of the Maryland Equal Employment Act which will eliminate the
practice of paying persons with disabilities less than the minimum wage by
2020.  We were very pleased to recognize Delegate Jeffrey Waldstreicher, the
House sponsor of this bill.  Three members from People on the Go, Ken
Capone, Matt Rice, and Tammy Goldsmith were also recognized for their
tireless efforts in the enactment of this legislation.
In every convention, members talk about why they are Federationists and how
the Federation has helped them live the life they want.  This year we had
memorable presentations from Sandra Burchette, a vivacious, active senior,
Belinda Hooks, who has worked in the accounting department of the National
Federation of the Blind for 17 years, and longtime Federationist Tom Ley.
We were very happy that Tom was able to join us at this convention, and we
wish him well in his continuing battle with cancer.  The panel presentation
entitled ‘Together with Love, Hope and Determination, We Help the Newly
Blind’ was a great reminder of our major focus to engage our members.  The
panel presentation by John Paré, Nikki Jackson and Gabe Cazares on how they
live the lives they want, gave testimony to the reality of this philosophy.
To listen to their stories again go to https://www.nfbmd.org/success.
Once again, we were pleased to have the participation of all of Maryland’s
service providers at the convention.  A special thanks to BISM not only for
being a major sponsor of the convention, but also for its generous
anniversary gift.  I was pleased to be able to remind us of our many
accomplishments throughout the last 50 years in my presidential report which
is available both in this newsletter and on the website.  To review the five
resolutions passed at our convention, go to https://www.nfbmd.org/advocacy.
Don’t miss Anna Kresmer’s article, elsewhere in this issue, on Maryland
activities before the creation of NFBMD.
Be sure to join us for inspiration, information, and fun in Towson at the
51st convention on November 10, 11 and 12.  I am sure there will be some
interesting surprises.

The Spirit of the Federation in Maryland before NFBMD
Anna Kresmer, Archivist, Jacobus tenBroek Library, NFB Jernigan Institute,
Baltimore, MD.
(Editor’s note:  The material in this article came from a talk that Anna
Kresmer gave at our 2016 State Convention.  It clearly illustrates that she
is a talented archivist.  We are lucky to have such a good researcher and
storyteller. )

Good morning Maryland! I am thrilled to be here with you today to speak
about one of my favorite topics: the history of the National Federation of
the Blind! The story of the NFB in the state of Maryland is long and
eventful, but something that all of us can be proud of. Fifty years is an
immense achievement and I would like to congratulate all of you, both those
in the room and those who could not be here today. But I also want to thank
those who came before us. Without the foundation they laid down, this
affiliate might have turned out very differently. I speak both of the
leaders who formed this organization in 1966, like Ned Graham and John T.
McCraw, and those who came after them, like Sharon Maneki, Marc Maurer, and
Melissa Riccobono. But the history of the organized blind movement in
Maryland, and its involvement with the NFB, goes back much further than just
fifty years. It is this history that I want to talk to you about today.

The organized blind movement in Maryland actually dates back to 1927 and its
roots are deeply entwined with the city of Baltimore. In 1927, five blind
men came together in Baltimore and created the Maryland Camp for the Blind.
At first merely a social group for blind men, within a year these men had
grown their membership; expanded their scope to include legislative,
commercial, educational, and philanthropic work; changed their name to the
Blind Brotherhood of Maryland; and received incorporation status from the
state. Their motto up until the 1960s was “Light Kindly Lead” and they
occupied offices on Eutaw Street near North Ave for many years. The
Brotherhood continued to grow throughout the 1930s and although they
remained mainly a social club limited to Baltimore area, they maintained an
active legislative committee. One of their early significant achievements
was helping to pass the state’s first White Cane Act in 1939, which would
make Maryland the sixth state to pass such a law.
In 1935 the Social Security Act, which provided the first federal pension
for the blind, was passed without any input from blind people; the final
straw which set in motion the founding of the NFB in 1940. Eager to become a
national movement able to deal directly with the federal government, the
fledgling Federation immediately began to seek out existing like-minded
organizations of the blind across the country. President Jacobus tenBroek
reached out to the Blind Brotherhood of Maryland with an offer of
affiliation in early 1941. However, by this time the Brotherhood appears to
have slowed down and become a more sedentary organization. Aside from a few
interested members, the group seemed unexcited by the prospect of banding
together with other blind people and plans to affiliate went nowhere.

It was not until 1945 that the Blind Brotherhood of Maryland finally became
an affiliate of the NFB, due mainly to the efforts of their legislative
chairman, Rosario Epsora. Epsora, known as Rosy to his friends, was a New
Yorker rumored to have a bit of a temper, but he was also a passionate
supporter of equality for the blind who understood the need for a
coordinated national movement. According to correspondence, Epsora was the
chief supporter of affiliation and quickly became a marcher in the NFB. Not
only did he embrace the NFB’s legislative program with gusto, he became a
national leader by serving as NFB secretary from 1948 to 1954. He is also
credited with lobbying for and then orchestrating the 1948 National
Convention in Baltimore. This was the first national convention held outside
of the Mid West and the first to encourage attendees to sit in state
delegations to aid the voting process. Epsora also arranged for the
convention to be opened with a prayer given by a clergyman (possibly the
first known instance of a now long-standing tradition), for local boy scouts
to serve as sighted guides, and for a crab feast hosted by the local
affiliate. Epsora would continue to be a major figure in the Brotherhood for
years to come, but we will come back to him in a minute.
Despite these early achievements in the NFB, the bulk of the Blind
Brotherhood of Maryland remained largely uninterested in the affairs of the
national movement. It membership was male, white, and located almost
exclusively in Baltimore. Female members were not allowed until 1948 and
none held office until 1957. And despite the seemingly tireless efforts of
Epsora, the Brotherhood never really shook off the lethargy that initially
kept them from joining the NFB. They remained primarily a social club,
funded by ticket sales to a few yearly events: a picnic in July, a bingo
party in December, and a dance on St. Patrick’s Day. They were set in their
ways and didn’t really wish to change. It was several years before the
national office caught on to the fact that their seemingly active Maryland
affiliate was in fact a one-man show. For a time the national office was
content with this situation, the process of Federation-building being
something like herding cats and working with existing organizations was less
time-consuming than building a new organization from scratch. But the status
quo could only last so long.
In the early to mid-1950s, the NFB began paying closer attention to the
structure and habits of their state affiliates, due in part to a wildly
successful national fundraising campaign selling greeting cards which was
now sending thousands of dollars to each participating affiliate every year.
In 1954, the national office began a quiet investigation of the Brotherhood.
It had come to light that the Brotherhood had a long tradition of taking a
quarter of their treasury and dividing it among their members as a gift
every Christmas. They also quietly paid monthly stipends to a few select
members who did not report this extra income to the state welfare agency.
These practices were not in line with the NFB’s affiliate standards and they
also threatened the Brotherhood’s status as a nonprofit organization. The
results of the NFB's investigation yielded promises from Brotherhood leaders
that these questionable practices would end, that all greeting card money
would be kept separate from locally-raised money, and that they would share
financial information more readily with NFB leadership. Unfortunately, these
remained nothing more than promises and money management would continue to
be a problem for the Brotherhood.

In the mid to late 1950s, the Federation entered a period later known as the
NFB Civil War. The reasons for this conflict are too complicated to deal
with in this presentation. The short version is that a minority faction of
the membership came to disagree with the leadership on how the Federation
should be run and things became messy. This faction believed that power
should be held by the affiliates, rather than by the president and the
executive committee, and did not take it kindly when the NFB’s leadership
began to scrutinize the way some states ran their organizations. In the case
of the Blind Brotherhood of Maryland, closer national attention once again
raised questions about money management. The NFB Executive Committee now
required each affiliate to submit a detailed accounting of their books each
year, which the Brotherhood at first failed to produce and then later flatly
refused to provide. This eventually led to Maryland’s share of the greeting
card money for 1959 to be withheld.

In a seeming about-face, Epsora, always a passionate man and now president
of the Brotherhood, transformed from a dedicated Federationist to a vocal
member of the minority faction. He responded to the administration’s
requests with accusations of executive overreach, calling the NFB a
dictatorship and comparing Dr. tenBroek to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Epsora
proceeded to convince his membership to pass a series of resolutions
denouncing and deploring the tenBroek administration and even hired a lawyer
to demand that the national office release their greeting card money.
All of this predictably did not go over well and at the 1960 national
convention, the Maryland affiliate was suspended along with five other
states. Facing possible expulsion within a year if they did not comply with
the Federation’s requirements, the until now sleepy Blind Brotherhood of
Maryland, which previously had been content to let Epsora have free rein,
jumped to attention. Within months of the suspension, Epsora was replaced by
a new president, the accounting documents were produced, and the Brotherhood
was formally welcomed back into the fold at the 1961 national convention.
Sadly, this action was short lived and all too soon the Brotherhood settled
back into its sleepy state: a small organization of 60 or so white people
that seldom, if ever, ventured outside of Baltimore. They had never been a
true state-wide organization, although there had been a few isolated efforts
to address this over the years. Amendments to their constitution and a name
change in 1964 to the Maryland Council of the Blind reflected this desire
for expansion, but they seemed to lack the will to achieve it and it was not
until 1965 that things really began to change for the better.
On October 6th, 1965, Ned Graham wrote to the current president of the
Maryland Council applying for membership on behalf of himself and nine other
blind African Americans. Sadly, his request was met with discouragement and
delay tactics by members of the Maryland Council who were not willing to
integrate their organization. Thankfully, this did not deter Ned Graham. He
next wrote to NFB President Russell Kletzing asking for advice on how he and
his colleagues could become part of the Federation. Kletzing responded to
his letter, stating that the NFB’s goal had always been to be a national
organization that represented all blind people, regardless of race, but that
there was no national rule actually requiring affiliates to follow this
policy. However, he recommended that Graham and his colleagues create their
own organization which could then negotiate with the Maryland Council on
equal footing. Graham took his advice and founded the Greater Baltimore
Chapter of the Blind. By the way, this means that the Greater Baltimore
Chapter is actually older than 50 years.

While this new organization of the blind was busy being formed, a few
changes took place within the Maryland Council—with a bit of encouragement
from the national office, I might add. By January 1966, the Maryland Council
had a new president named Albert Balducci and those members who supported
integration quietly staged a campaign for change. And just like that the
issue of race, which had previously looked like a recipe for disaster, was
nullified. On March 5th, 1966, under the guidance of NFB Washington Bureau
chief John Nagle, both organizations – the Greater Baltimore Chapter of the
Blind and the Maryland Council of the Blind—came together to form the first
true, state-wide organization of the blind in the state of Maryland. They
adopted a new name and constitution, elected their first state-level
officers, chartered both of the existing organizations as local chapters,
and became the Free State Federation of the Blind. Balducci was elected the
new organization’s first president, an office he held until 1969, and Ned
Graham, president of the Greater Baltimore Chapter, became his vice
president. Both men represented the new affiliate at the 1966 national
convention and received their new state charter together during the banquet.
I wish I could say that the transition to a united affiliate was seamless,
but the clash of big personalities over time eventually led to the
withdrawal of the Maryland Council from the Free State Federation in 1970.
However it must be stressed that the infusion of positive energy and the
addition of a new and diverse membership that was eager to grown the
affiliate did the trick. The lethargy of the previous organization was gone
and the Federation in Maryland has been on the move ever since.
Fifty years later, many things have changed in this affiliate and there are
many things for which we can be proud. We changed our name to the National
Federation of the Blind of Maryland in 1970. The number of chapters we have
boasted over the years has swelled and contracted and swelled again, but
with the love and support of our state leadership, many have stood the test
of time. Among them are the Greater Baltimore Chapter, which remains at the
nucleus of the affiliate; the Greater Cumberland Chapter, which was
originally founded in 1969; and the Sligo Creek Chapter, which dates all the
way back to 1967 when they were known as the Twin Counties Federation of the
Blind. Our first Maryland student division was formed in 1977 and our
Parents of Blind Children Division has stood strong since 1984.

Traditions run deep in this affiliate. There have been 20 years of crab
feasts, 38 years of Annapolis Day, and the first Maryland state convention
at the Carousel Hotel in Ocean City was held in 1985. Our newsletter, the
Braille Spectator, has been in publication since 1969. We have hosted two
national conventions in our state, the first in 1978 and the second in 1981.
Three Marylanders have served as members of the NFB national board, and four
adopted Marylanders have now served as national President. Our affiliate was
instrumental in moving the NFB national headquarters to Baltimore in 1978
and just about every year we boast the highest state attendance at national
convention. As I said at the beginning of my presentation, our state’s
history has been long and eventful, but our present is strong, and our
future is bright. I’m confident that the next fifty years will be more
interesting than all of the years that came before. And I look forward to
documenting it in the NFB archives. Thank you.

Celebrating Fifty Years of Progress in Maryland:  a Report from the
President
By: Sharon Maneki

Fellow Federationists:
At this, our fiftieth annual convention of the National Federation of the
Blind of Maryland, it is appropriate for us to take this occasion to
celebrate our past, reflect on the present, and think about planning for our
future.
Let us begin by remembering our debts to those who have come before us.  I
wish to recognize Ned Graham, who was primarily responsible for uniting
separate chapters into a cohesive state affiliate and who served on the
national board of directors for several years.  We are fortunate to have a
long list of talented presidents: John Mc Craw, the second longest serving
president, whose commitment and achievements continue to inspire those who
knew him; Willie Thompson, who helped us to keep the faith after John Mc
Craw’s sudden and untimely death; Jim Omvig and Marc Maurer, for building us
into an affiliate worthy of being the home to our National headquarters and
to the Jernigan Institute; and Michael Gosse and Melissa Riccobono, who
continued our legacy of advocacy and action.  Affiliate Presidents alone are
not responsible for our success.  Therefore, we salute our many longtime
members who continue to remain active and give us the benefit of their
wisdom and experience. We also welcome our newer members, those attending
their first or second convention.
Since this is our golden anniversary convention, let us ponder whether we
are really a golden organization.  Do we have the attributes associated with
gold?  Some of the attributes of gold that I will examine are wisdom,
importance, discovery, courage, longevity, wealth and love.
Historians refer to the golden age of a civilization as its high point.
While we cannot yet judge when the golden age of the National Federation of
the Blind will be, there is no doubt that we are an organization of
importance and wisdom.  Gold is an important symbol in many religions.
Kings and queens were adorned in gold to demonstrate their importance.
Families in many cultures must provide gold at the time of a woman’s wedding
to ensure a successful marriage.  The Federation’s importance is not in its
trappings, but in its influence and actions.
Let us consider the effect of Federation philosophy on each of us.  Our
founder, Dr. Jacobus tenBroek, proclaimed our right to live in the world.
He also taught us how to demand that right through collective action.  Dr.
Kenneth Jernigan revolutionized the way that we think about blindness by
arguing that blindness is not a handicap; it is a characteristic.  As he
explained:
“No one is likely to disagree with me if I say that blindness, first of all,
is a characteristic. But a great many people will disagree when I go on to
say that blindness is only a characteristic. It is nothing more or less than
that. It is nothing more special, or more peculiar, or more terrible than
that suggests. When we understand the nature of blindness as a
characteristic—a normal characteristic like hundreds of others with which
each of us must live—we shall better understand the real needs to be met by
services to the blind, as well as the false needs which should not be met.”
Over the years, through our collective experience, we have deepened our
understanding of our philosophy.  Today, President Riccobono is enhancing
our philosophy by communicating it in simple concrete terms:
“The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future.   Every day we raise the
blindness is not what holds you back.”
While searching for gold, mankind has stumbled upon numerous discoveries.
One of the most famous discoveries while looking for gold was the discovery
of the new world by Christopher Columbus.  The Federation has always
encouraged blind people to explore and discover.  In his 2007 banquet
address entitled “Expanding the Limits: The Uncertainty of Exploration” Marc
Maurer states:
“We do not know what the possibilities are for us, for we have not explored
all of the elements that constitute the pattern of what we are and what we
will become. However, we know more about the pattern than anybody else, and
we have decided to explore it all, to reach as far as anybody can, to dream
as much as anybody will, and to build in a way that will bring into being
possibilities for us beyond anything that has ever previously been imagined.
What are the limits, and where will we stop? Nobody can say. Perhaps the
limits expand along with our knowledge, our imagination, and our courage.”
Blind people have made many discoveries through the National Federation of
the Blind. How many seniors know the joy of independence because through the
Federation they discovered that they do not have to give up their homes due
to loss of vision?  How many students have discovered their full potential
because of the opportunities they received through scholarships and youth
empowerment stipends from the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland?
How many blind children discovered hope and understand that they are not
alone because of our NFB BELL academies?
As we know, today winners of various competitions receive a gold medal as
their award.  Although the practice of awarding gold medals at the Olympics
was not established until 1904, Greek mythology contributed to the choice of
gold as an appropriate award.  If our state affiliates were to receive gold
medals, the one that Maryland would deserve would be for establishing the
Braille Enrichment Literacy and Learning (BELL) program.  Parents such as
Jackie Anderson were tired of school systems that offered poor instruction
or no instruction in Braille reading and writing to children with limited
vision.  If the school systems won’t do it, we determined to teach Braille
to children ourselves.  It was fortuitous that Michael Gosse was our
president when we talked about and came up with the name BELL.  Dr. Gosse
knew first hand about the limitations created when children do not have the
opportunity for Braille instruction.  Jackie Anderson and Jackie Otwell were
the first teachers in our BELL program which was established in 2007.  From
these humble beginnings, the NFB BELL academies have grown into a national
program.  In 2016, 34 states conducted BELL academies, including three in
Maryland.  It is appropriate to have pictures of students, staff and
volunteers from the Baltimore, Glendale and Salisbury programs in our golden
anniversary convention agenda.
Courage is associated with gold because of the many risks that were taken
and the many battles that were fought throughout history in order to acquire
it.  Most of the motives of gold seekers were for personal gain. For
instance, in the 1500s, Spanish conquerors destroyed the Inca civilization
of Peru just to obtain their gold.  Many Federationists demonstrate similar
courage, but our motives are not for self-aggrandizement.  Our motives are
to benefit the lives of all blind people. I am proud to know many parents,
some of whom are here at this convention, who have had the courage to stand
up to school systems to demand appropriate services for their children.
These parents do not take a stand once, they do it for years.
One of the myths that confront us as blind people is the notion that we are
safety risks.  When Amber Elia needed backup day care for her 6 year old
blind son, Max, she was denied services by the La Petite Academy in
Frederick, MD.  When Amber dropped her son off before work, the staff asked
her what Max would need.  Amber explained that all Max needs is verbal
directions since he knows how to use his white cane.  By early afternoon, La
Petite corporate headquarters had decided to refuse any further day care for
Max, because they assumed that he needed a one-on-one assistant for his
“safety.”  Amber had the courage to stand up to this corporation.  With the
assistance of the National Federation of the Blind, we will make sure that
Max and all blind children will not be denied services from this national
day care chain.
Employment discrimination cases abound in Maryland as they do in most other
affiliates.  Over the years we have helped many individuals with these
struggles.  Currently we are helping several individuals who lost their
vision while on the job.  Rather than following the law and offering these
individuals reasonable accommodations, too many employers try to push the
individual into early retirement.  Employers who should know better, such as
the State of Maryland and Baltimore County, are guilty of this practice.
When blind people have the courage to fight back, we will support them with
our collective resources.
When I think of courage, I think of Yasmin Reyazuddin.  With the help of the
National Federation of the Blind, Yasmin has fought with Montgomery County
government since 2009.  The county refused to provide Yasmin with accessible
equipment so that she could do her job as a 311 information specialist, even
though such equipment was readily available.  Thanks to Yasmin’s courage and
the assistance of the National Federation of the Blind, this coming Monday,
October 31, Yasmin will begin her job as an information specialist with
accessible equipment.
Consider the courage of Mike Bullis and Gail Broda.  The long arduous battle
that Mike Bullis fought to gain shared custody of his daughter is well known
to most of us in Maryland. This four-year battle finally ended with a ten
day trial, and cost Mike over $60,000.  Mike turned his personal battle into
a quest to make systemic changes in the legal system to protect the rights
of all blind parents and caregivers.  In 2009, companion bills HB 689 and SB
613 were enacted into law because of our efforts.  This law stated that, “in
any custody or visitation proceeding, a disability to a party is relevant
only to the extent that the court finds, based on evidence in the record,
that the disability affects the best interest of the child.”  This law was a
good beginning, but we needed to do more.
In 2016, when we went to the Maryland General Assembly to seek greater
protection for disabled parents and caregivers, Mike Bullis was there once
again to help make our case.  He was ably assisted by other Federationists
including Gail Broda.
Gail demonstrated great courage because she had never testified about
anything in her life and was very new to the Federation.  The custody of
Gail’s grandson was in question because Gail’s son lived with her.  Since
Gail, who is blind, would be involved in the care of her grandson, social
service officials had to determine whether putting that grandson in the
custody of his father and blind grandmother was appropriate.  The social
service worker handling this case conducted a home visit but never
interviewed Gail, even though she was present.  The social service worker
wrote a report stating that because of her disability, Gail could not care
for her grandson.  This testimony helped to convince the General Assembly to
enact SB 765, which Governor Hogan signed into law on May 10, 2016.
This new law places the burden of proof on the party who alleges that the
disabled parent or caregiver is incapable of caring for the child.  The law
also directs judges to offer supportive parenting services to a disabled
parent or caregiver before making a decision to change the living
arrangement for the child.  However, our work in the General Assembly to
protect the rights of disabled parents is not complete.  The law does not
cover Children in Need of Assistance (CINA) cases and other cases handled by
the State of Maryland through its Department of Human Resources.  We will
persist until every disabled parent in Maryland can care for his or her
child without fear of discrimination.
Peter L. Bernstein, in his book The Power of Gold: the History of an
Obsession, explains that: “gold is chemically inert so its radiance is
forever.  In Cairo, you will find a tooth bridge made for an Egyptian 4,500
years ago.  Its condition is good enough to go into your mouth today.” Does
the National Federation of the Blind have the same longevity as gold?  I
cannot really answer that question, but I can say that the NFB seeks to make
systemic changes that will have a long-term effect on the lives of blind
persons.
Consider the systemic changes that we have made in Maryland in education,
blindness services and in access to information.  For many years, the
National Federation of the Blind has viewed the decline of literacy skills
of blind and visually impaired children with alarm.  The passage of the
Maryland Literacy Rights and Education Act in 1992, remains one of our most
significant achievements.  This law requires that the starting point for
every blind or visually impaired student’s educational program shall be
Braille.  Furthermore, this law requires the consideration of both the
student’s prognosis of vision loss and future literacy needs if instruction
is to include other reading media.
Over the years, we have worked to ensure that this law is enforced
throughout the state.  To reduce the barriers of low expectations, we
encouraged the Maryland General Assembly to enact HB 413 and SB 230 in 2010.
This legislation instructs the Maryland State Department of Education to
create standards for students from pre-kindergarten through grade 12 to meet
in Braille reading, writing, and mathematics.  Since there are standards for
students to meet in reading and writing print, why not require standards for
blind students to meet in reading and writing Braille?  We successfully
collaborated with a committee of vision teachers to create the Maryland
Common Core State Curriculum Frameworks for Braille in language arts and
mathematics.  These standards, which were issued in 2012, also include
benchmarks for students to meet in Braille, Formatting, and Tactile
Graphics.  These standards, which have become a model for other states, have
also been a helpful guide for parents to use when assessing their child’s
progress in Braille reading, writing, and mathematics.
In 2017, to mark the 25th anniversary of the Maryland Literacy Rights and
Education Act, we intend to conduct a literacy conference jointly sponsored
by NFB and the Maryland School for the Blind.  In this conference, we will
measure our progress and look for additional ways to enhance the literacy
skills of blind and visually impaired students in Maryland.
We have always understood that services for the blind improve when agency
directors respond to consumer input.  Affiliates of the NFB have worked
tirelessly to improve these services.  Consider the Maryland Workshop for
the Blind.  Workers at this facility were paid a mere twenty five cents an
hour and there was a separate entrance for African Americans.  It was no
accident that things began to change in the 1970s, when the National
Federation of the Blind of Maryland became an effective statewide affiliate.
This workshop was reinvented as Blind Industries and Services of Maryland
(BISM.) The old workshop model was tossed out and replaced with a new
business model.  BISM acknowledged the capabilities of blind people.
Productivity and efficiency became paramount, enabling more workers, now
known as associates, to be hired at minimum wage or higher.  This
transformation did not happen overnight.  The composition of the board of
trustees of BISM was expanded to 11 members.  In time, Federationists John
Mc Craw, Doris Samuels and Georgia Myers were appointed to the board of
trustees.  Thanks to their efforts, significant changes occurred.  We owe
them a large debt of gratitude and I am sure that they are marveling at our
progress.
Having a successful model of the capabilities of disabled workers helped us
to gain an important victory.  In May of 2016, the Equal Employment Act was
enacted into law.  The practice of paying workers with disabilities less
than the minimum wage will end in Maryland by 2020.  We must be vigilant to
make sure that this law is properly and fully implemented.
Obtaining quality rehabilitation services in Maryland has been a challenge.
However, we have made some progress. Clients who receive services from the
Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS), are wondering how I can say that
we are making progress because unfortunately, bureaucratic red tape and
delays in the delivery of services are increasing.  If you need a KNFB
reader, you can purchase it in six minutes with your own funds.  It took
DORS six months to purchase a KNFB reader for one consumer who didn’t have
the money.  Clients suffer because the State of Maryland is an indifferent
employer.  Too many counselors and teachers are forced to quit their
positions for better paying jobs elsewhere.
Although rehabilitation services for blind people in Maryland are far from
perfect, we have come a long way.  As I think about the progress we have
made, I am reminded of the poignant story often shared with us by the late
Ralph Thompson many years ago.  He told us that his case was essentially
written off by his rehabilitation counselor with the explanation that: “your
problem is that you have the three Bs: y’re black, y’re broke, and y’re
blind.” Rightfully, such talk by a professional in the field of work with
the blind would be deemed unacceptable today.
One reason for the poor adjustment to blindness training is that state
agencies have frequently had a monopoly on this training. By working on both
the federal and state levels, the National Federation of the Blind sought to
break this monopoly by promoting consumer choice in service providers.  In
Maryland, we have been promoting client choice since 1989 when we insisted
that Kay Monville had the right to attend the Louisiana Center for the
Blind, and James Story had the right to attend the Colorado Center for the
Blind.  During the appeal hearing for James, the rehabilitation agency
maintained that he did not need training in the skills of blindness because
he had a sighted girlfriend to assist him.  These were the first of many
victories for choice in rehabilitation.
Experience dramatically demonstrates that clients who are served by separate
identifiable rehabilitation agencies for the blind, receive better services.
Clients of these agencies are also more likely to be successful in
competitive employment.  Several times throughout our history, we have
attempted to create a separate identifiable rehabilitation agency for the
blind in Maryland.  After our most recent attempt in 2004, DORS sought to
placate our political activism and to quell the growing unease in the
Maryland General Assembly by establishing within its bureaucratic structure,
the Office for Blindness and Vision Services (OBVS) in January, 2005.  OBVS
remains subservient to the rules and policies of a general rehabilitation
agency.  However, OBVS is a big improvement over the earlier arrangements.
Sue Schaffer, the first director of OBVS, understood that there must be
balance in carrying out the policies and procedures of a state agency, when
weighed against the needs of clients. There must be consistency in
enforcement of the rules. Ultimately, the agency exists to meet the needs of
the clients so that they can become employable.  DORS must be mindful that
the ‘I’ in IPE stands for individualized plan for employment.  We look
forward to working with the new director of OBVS, Toni March.  We appreciate
the presence of many OBVS staff at this convention. This is a challenging
time in the field of rehabilitation because of new laws and budget
pressures.  Staff and advocates need to work together to find creative and
imaginative ways to meet the needs of clients.  You can be sure that the
Federation will continue to inform consumers of their rights and will
monitor what happens to blind persons in the rehabilitation system.

The growth and improvement of the Maryland State Library for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped (LBPH) are inextricably linked to the involvement of
the organized blind in Maryland.  Prior to 1968, blind library patrons in
Maryland were served by the regional library in Richmond, Virginia.  Two
years after this affiliate was organized, the blind had our own library in
Baltimore.  LBPH had a humble beginning in leased quarters of a mere 7,776
square feet on Charles Street in Baltimore.  Throughout the years, our
complaints about the poor quality of library services, the inadequate
collection of books on Maryland subjects, and the wretched conditions of
LBPH quarters were legion.  Because of the publicity we generated and the
political stance we adopted, LBPH moved into a brand new building four times
larger than its original quarters in December, 1992.
LBPH is part of the Division of Library Development and Services in the
Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE.)  The growth of LBPH has been
stifled by the bureaucracy at MSDE. It was easy for MSDE to rob funds from
LBPH because LBPH did not even have a budget in this bureaucratic structure.
In 2014, NFBMD convinced the Maryland General Assembly to place LBPH in the
same formula used to fund other public libraries.  We finally have our own
budget.
To date, we have not seen the improvements in services that having a set
amount of funding should have produced due to the bureaucracy and inept
management at MSDE.  There is a plan to redesign library services by moving
the Division of Library Development and Services out of MSDE.  LBPH and
other library services would be moved into a new and separate agency which
would be known as the Maryland State Library. We must support this plan and
help to make it a reality.  It is time for LBPH to be freed from the bonds
of MSDE so that it can reach out to the newly blind and provide the quality
services that we need in the 21st century.
For decades we have been working with the Maryland General Assembly to
create laws to improve nonvisual access to information.  Because of our
efforts, the General Assembly has enacted specific laws on access as well as
inserting language about access into other laws such as laws about on-line
learning, the health care exchange, and access to public information.
Maryland also has a permanent source of funding for NFB-NEWSLINE®, thanks to
our efforts.
The Federation believes that the best way to achieve access to websites, and
other information technologies and services, is through the procurement
system. Maryland has excellent laws instructing agencies of state government
to purchase and use accessible products.  The problem we face now is that
these laws are either ignored, or state officials are duped by vendors who
claim that their products are accessible, when they are not.  The latest
example of this trickery was the purchase of a new state personnel system.
Governor Hogan recently created the Commission to Modernize State
Procurement, which is to submit its recommendations to him by December 1,
2016.  We have been encouraging this commission to introduce accountability
and penalties for violations of the nonvisual access laws.  We have done a
good job in establishing a legal structure for accessibility.  Now we must
get the system to work.
There is no doubt that gold represents wealth.  The National Federation of
the Blind of Maryland does not have monetary wealth.  Our wealth resides in
our human capital.  We have members who willingly sit through endless
hearings so that we can make our case for equality.  We have members who
make sacrifices by supporting our crab feasts and our Bid for Opportunity
dinners and auctions. These annual events allow us to award educational
scholarships and youth stipends for alternatives to blindness training.
This year we awarded over $3000 to tweens to attend summer independence
training programs.  Tonight, we will award two scholarships of $2000 and
$1500 to deserving college students.  Our members give freely of their time
to set up booths at conferences to educate the public about our
capabilities.  Our Meet the Blind month calendar posted on www.nfbmd.org
shows the breadth and depth of our local activities.  We have increased our
presence on Facebook and Twitter.  This year we took part in a new public
outreach campaign with Harris Teeter.  Harris Teeter offers non-profit
organizations the opportunity to put small public service messages on their
pharmacy bags.  Twenty-four thousand customer pharmacy bags are being
distributed in each of three locations: Columbia, Glen Burnie and Silver
Spring. This means that 72,000 Harris Teeter customers will have received
the positive message on blindness promoted by the National Federation of the
Blind of Maryland.
The last attribute of gold that I will talk about is the most important one:
love.  If you are wearing a gold band on your finger, feel it and think
about its significance. Think about the promise that we make to each other
in the Federation.  With love, hope and determination, we turn dreams into
reality.  Are we a golden organization? You bet we are.
Speculate with me for a moment about the future.  Who will be the first
blind person to win a Nobel Prize? Will it be in literature or chemistry?
Perhaps it will be the Nobel peace prize.  What will happen at the hundredth
anniversary convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland?
Perhaps the keynote speaker will be the first blind president of the United
States.  I am sure that we will accomplish all of these things, and more.
One of my favorite quotations from Dr. Jernigan is his description of the
future which is just as true today as when he stated it in 1996 in his
address to the convention entitled “The Revolution of the Kernel Books”:
“I am absolutely certain of the general direction that our organization will
take.  Our mutual faith and trust in each other will be unchanged; and all
else will follow. I know to the depth of my being that our shared bond of
love and trust will never change; and that because of it we will be
unswervable in our determination and unstoppable in our progress.  We have
come a long way together in this movement. Some of us are veterans going
back to the 1940s; others are new recruits fresh to the ranks.  Some are
young; some are old. Some are educated, others not. It makes no difference.
In everything that matters we are one; we are the movement; we are the
blind.”

Maryland Ballot Markers for the Blind can be used by any Voter
By: Michael Dresser
Baltimore Sun October 26, 2016 (Editor’s note: the following article came
from the Baltimore Sun dated October 26. In the general election, The
National Federation of the Blind insisted that election officials to tell
all voters that they had the opportunity to vote by using either the machine
or a paper ballot. As the following article illustrates, the Attorney
General recognizes the importance of protecting the right to a secret ballot
for blind and disabled voters. You can be sure that NFBMD will be vigilant
in protecting our rights in the 2018 elections).

A new Maryland voting system designed to make it easier for the blind to
vote independently isn't restricted to the blind.
When voters begin checking in at early voting centers starting Thursday,
they will for the first time be told they have the option of using paper
ballots or a machine that marks voting sheets for them. The same machines
will be at polling places Nov. 8 for Election Day.
Attorney General Brian E. Frosh held a news conference Tuesday at the
National Federation of the Blind headquarters in South Baltimore to
demonstrate the new ballot marker technology.
While the ballot markers can be used by any voter, Frosh hailed the
technology's ability to let blind and other visually impaired individuals
cast ballots without assistance.
"Secrecy and privacy in elections are essential to the integrity of our
elections," Frosh said.
Mark Riccobono, the federation's national chairman, said most blind voters
have had the experience of depending on someone else to help them vote.
"It usually doesn't matter if they're a relative or not," he said. "You
still wonder are they going to put down what you ask."
That capability is not new with the paper-based voting system introduced for
the primary election this year. The option of independent voting was also a
feature of the touch screen technology that Maryland used between 2002 and
2014.
However, federation officers and members who attended the news conference
said the new voting system brings significant improvements.
Steve Booth, a federation member from Baltimore, tried out the new system
Tuesday. He cast votes in a series of fanciful elections for such things as
"favorite Maryland symbol," using a hand-held control pad similar to one
from a video game player. The machine read off his choices, which he could
hear through a headset, and confirmed that he had made his choices.
(For demonstration purposes, a speaker system stood in for the headsets.)
When Booth finished, the machine spat out a ballot sheet, which he fed into
the same optical scanner machine used to count typical paper ballots.
Booth said he has been voting since 1972 but couldn't cast a ballot without
help until he moved to Maryland for the 2006 election.
The new ballot marker, he said, is an improvement.
"This is much faster because you can change speeds," he said. Booth said he
wished he could skip over candidates once he's heard the name of the one he
wants to select, but he understands why the system requires that all of the
choices be heard before a ballot is cast.
The audio quality is also much improved, Booth said. The old system, he
said, "had this Donald Duck effect."
Sharon Maneki, president of the federation's Maryland chapter, said the new
system is better than the old. But she added that "we're not there" yet in
terms of an ideal system. Maneki said she'd prefer to see a system where the
ballots used by blind and otherwise disabled voters appeared identical. Now
they come in two different sizes though they are fed into the same machines.
"We don't want to have a segregated ballot," Maneki said. She'd like to see
all voters encouraged to use the system – something that wasn't done in the
primary.
"We've come a long way," she said. "The fear of technology is unfortunate."
John Willis, special counsel to the Attorney General's Office, said voters
should have no concerns about the machines being hacked.
"At the polling place, none of these are connected to the Internet," he
said.
Willis, a University of Baltimore professor and a recognized expert on
running elections, said the new system is fully compliant with the Americans
With Disabilities Act. He pointed out that it even has a port where
quadriplegics and others with mobility disorders can plug in a
"sip-and-puff" device that lets them use their breath to cast votes
privately.
Nikki Baines Charlson, deputy director of the State Board of Elections, said
the ballot marking device can also help people with hand tremors cast their
votes. The machines also offer an option where voters can use a touch screen
to mark their ballots, which still have to be fed into the scanner. Those
touch screens can be adjusted to enlarge fonts or vary contrast, she said.
"It's a solution for voters with a whole host of disabilities," she said.
For non-disabled voters, the ballot marking machines could present a slight
time advantage if there are lines between the check-in table and the voting
booth.
Unfortunately, when there are long lines, it's usually to check in. For
those, the disabled and non-disabled are equally empowered – to wait.
mdresser at baltsun.com <mailto:mdresser at baltsun.com>

Spectator Specs
Important NFBMD News:
Join me in welcoming the newest Division of the National Federation of the
Blind of Maryland, the Maryland Association of Blind Merchants, to our
Federation family. The new officers of this Division are: Melba Taylor,
President; Patti Hollman Eitington, First Vice President; Steve Brand,
Second Vice President; Tassi Thompson, Secretary; and Andre Sconion,
Treasurer. The three board members are: Don Morris, Mike Bullis, and Dr.
Michael Gosse. At its creation on May 6, twenty-three people joined the
Division. I am sure we will be hearing more from this Division in the coming
months. Congratulations and welcome!
Take five minutes to help reduce discrimination.  The National Federation of
the Blind has created a rideshare testing program to measure Lyft and Uber’s
efforts to eliminate driver discrimination against riders with guide dogs or
service animals. If you use a service animal or are accompanying someone who
does please fill out a short form about your experience, each time you use
Uber or Lyft.  Please go to  <https://nfb.org/rideshare-test%20>
https://nfb.org/rideshare-test to complete the survey.  Please give us
information about both good and bad experiences.  Spread the word, we need
information from every blind person whether they are a member of NFB or not.
Sarah Baebler is the Maryland coordinator for this program. If you have
questions email her at  <mailto:sbaebler at bism.org> sbaebler at bism.org.
Weddings:
*         On Labor Day weekend 2016, Patty Holman and Will Eitington were
married.  Patty and Will are active members of the Sligo Creek Chapter.
Congratulations to this happy couple.
*         On December 23, Wendy Cox and Barry Messersmith were married in
Westminster, MD.  Wendy Cox has been an active member of the Maryland
Parents of Blind Children for many years.  She is best known as Chris
Nusbaum’s mother.  Congratulations.
Deaths:
*         We are sorry to report the death of Elizabeth Hall in October
2016.  Elizabeth and her sister Helen were active members of the Sligo Creek
and National Harbor Chapters. When Elizabeth began to have serious health
problems, she and her sister Helen moved to North Carolina to be close to
the rest of the family.  So many of you may not have had the privilege of
knowing them.  Elizabeth was a stalwart member with lots of enthusiasm.  She
also was a tireless volunteer.
*         On November 12, Sandra Price lost her long battle with the
complications of diabetes.  Sandra started out in the P.G. County Chapter of
the NFB of Maryland. When she married William in 2004 she moved to Baltimore
and was a member of the Greater Baltimore Chapter.  Sandra had a great
spirit and courage and was an inspiration to all who knew her.
*         In mid-February Jackie Hayes, a member of the Greater Baltimore
Chapter, died very suddenly.  Jackie was always a willing volunteer.  She
was proud that after a long struggle she finally was able to be employed in
the childcare field.
Achievements:
After 25 years of employment at Blind Industries and Services of Maryland
Shirley Riffle retired on January 31.  Over the years Shirley wore many hats
at BISM, but her longest stint was as Director of Senior Services.  Shirley
was always cheerful, enthusiastic and kind.  She worked tirelessly to help
all blind persons reach or maintain their independence.  Best wishes in your
new career and may it be as rewarding as your time was at BISM.
Tom Bickford, a member of the Sligo Creek Chapter who has been attending
National Conventions since the 1950’s, recently published a new book called
“And I Quote.”  This book contains interesting quotes on everything from
advice to rye smiles.  To get a copy of the book please visit
http://www.politics-prose.com/book/9781624290992.  The website lists the
author as J. Tom, Jr.  This is not Tom’s first book.  He also wrote about
how blind people should accomplish independent travel.  The name of this
book is “The Care and Feeding of the Long White Cane.”  This book is
available from the Independence Market.

Graduations:
Alycia Breitschwerdt graduated from Frostburg University with a BS degree in
Recreation and Park Management. Alycia did this while working at BISM
fulltime as an independent living instructor for seniors.  Congratulations
and best wishes.

Sharon Maneki, President
410-715-9596
blindness is not what holds you back.