[Mdabs] Braille Tutor Needed for Blind Student in Owings Mills

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Sun May 28 18:27:33 UTC 2017

Dear Fellow Federationists:

In the past few weeks, I have been in contact with the mother of a
soon-to-be 9th grade student from Owings Mills who reached out to me in an
effort to get her son connected with our student division and the Federation
as a whole. He has lost all sight in one eye and is gradually losing it in
the other eye. Consequently, though he is a very bright student who is
entering high school a year early, he is receiving very limited Braille
instruction from his school system.

Until they can increase the services he is receiving, I suggested that the
family look into getting a private Braille tutor to work with him after
school-an idea to which they were very receptive. I think it would be great
for him to have a blind tutor from the Federation who can also serve as a
positive mentor for him. So, if anyone in the area would be willing to work
with him on either a paid or volunteer basis, please write to me off-list
and I will give you the relevant contact information. This could be an
especially rewarding an opportunity for students who are looking for a
summer job or something to do on the side. I hope we can tap into the vast
network of our Federation to find a great tutor/mentor for this promising
blind student. Thank you or all you do to support the future blind leaders
of the blind!

Chris

Chris Nusbaum, President

Maryland Association of Blind Students

Board Member, National Association of Blind Students

Phone: (443) 547-2409

Email: cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com

Twitter: @Chrisn98 and @nabslink

expectations for blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you bak.