[Mdabs] Urgent Action Needed

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 12 17:45:44 UTC 2018

Hello All!

We need to do two things.

First, the Marrakesh Treaty Implementation Act (S. 2559) is sitting idle in
the House Judiciary Committee. We need Chairman Goodlatte to discharge this
bill and put it on the House suspension calendar for a vote. The Department
of State will not ratify the treaty until the House of Representatives
passes this bill and the president signs it into law. This legislation is
noncontroversial, supported by all relevant stakeholders, and was passed
unanimously by the Senate on June 28.  Please call Chairman Goodlatte at
202-225-5431.  You must pick up the phone for this, because the congressman
does not take email from non-constituents. Please do this quickly because
congress is going out of town due because of the hurricane.

Many thanks to everyone who wrote to their congressman during Maryland day
to ask them to cosponsor HR 1734.  We are making progress because we have
two congressman co-sponsoring this bill!  Please contact the following
congressman so that we can reach 100%.   Congressmen Anthony Brown, Elijah
Cummings, John Delaney, Andy Harris, Steny Hoyer, and John Sarbanes. You can
contact your member of Congress by calling the Capitol Switchboard and
asking for the office in question. The number is 202-224-3121.

This bill would increase the availability of Access Technology thereby
increasing educational and employment opportunities for all blind Americans.
The bill does this by creating a tax credit for the purchase of access
technology. The National Federation of the Blind has analyzed the cost
impact and the bill is either cost neutral or will save the government
money.

Thanks.

Sharon Maneki, President

410-715-9596