[MDABS] Urgent Action Needed with Congress

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 16 19:29:33 UTC 2019

Hello All,

We need everyone to either call or email the following Maryland Legislators
and ask them to cosponsor the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act.
Please call Congressmen Sarbanes, Cummings, Brown, Hoyer, Ruppersberger, and
Harris, and ask them to cosponsor HR 873.  Please call Senator Cardin and
ask him to cosponsor S 260.  Please do it this week.  It is great that
Maryland has Congressmen Raskin and Trone and Senator Van Holland on these
bills.  However, we need to get as close to 100% as we can.  Please read
John Pare's message below and take action.  Thanks!

Transformation to Competitive Employment Act

House - H.R. 873 - Sponsored by Bobby Scott (D-VA-3) - 52 cosponsors

Senate - S. 260 - Sponsored by Bob Casey (D-PA) - 7 cosponsors

These bills would phase out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act
over a six-year period, at which point the provision would officially be
sunset.

Please call or email your representative and two senators and urge them to
cosponsor the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act if they have not
already done so.

When you call or email, you might say something like the following:

"Hello, my name is [your name] and I am a constituent of [your
senator/representative]. I live in [city, state]. I am calling to urge [your
senator/representative] to cosponsor [S. 260 for Senate calls/H.R. 873 for
House calls], the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act. This
legislation phases out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act over a
six-year period, at which point the provision would officially be sunset.

Thanks."

You can contact your member of Congress by calling the Capitol Switchboard
and asking for the office in question. The number is 202-224-3121. If you
email your representative or senators, please copy John Pare at
jpare at nfb.org <mailto:jpare at nfb.org> . Your calls and emails do make a
difference.

Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and Advocacy

410-715-9596

blindness is not what holds you back.