[MDABS] Emergency Action Needed

Sharon Maneki nfbmdsm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 16:17:52 UTC 2021

Hello all,

I have recently learned that the President of the Senate, Bill Ferguson,
does not support the Lam amendment to SB831. As you know from my earlier
message, this amendment will alleviate the segregated ballot problem.
Please email Senator Ferguson RIGHT NOW at bill.ferguson at senate.state.md.us
and tell him the following, in your own words:

If the Senate is going to reform the election process by passing SB831, it
is unfair and unconscionable to strip the Lam amendment from this bill. The
General Assembly expresses its priorities through the budget that it
passes; merely stating that this amendment costs too much money shows a
lack of leadership. Voters with disabilities have been denied a secret
ballot since 2016. So far, no one has had the courage to do anything about
it. Will the Senate have the courage to do something about it now, or will
the violations of civil rights continue? Please leave the Lam amendment in
this bill.

*Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and Advocacy*
410-715-9596

The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Everyday we raise
the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.