[Mdpobc] School placement told if I want a classroom aid DD has to go to special school

L W mama2sally at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 25 20:43:00 UTC 2009

1.  No reason given as why Joli couldn't have an aid at the local school.  (To be honest I should have asked why but I was registering 2 kids at once and the nurse was talking to me about shots etc and somebody else was at our proof of residence etc all at the same time...)

2.  Havent had 1st IEP yet.  That is happening in early July.  As soon as they said that they might put her in this other school., I said that was something I would not agree to and if it was ever on IEP I would not sign it as she supposed have a free appropriate education in the least restrictive environment possible.  The woman just said "Well that's your right."

3.  The school is suggesting (or at least that one woman is suggesting) that because she needs a classroom aid and other support due to being legally blind as well as having dyslexia, my daughter attend a school with a special education unit/center rather than attend her local school with her sister.

4.  She is going into 3rd grade, and we have lived in Carroll county for two weeks.

Thanks for the support and advice!  We are having our first IEP meeting in early July to decide which assesments she needs.  I am wondering if I should have an advocate present and if so how do I do that and how much does it cost?  I am feeling like I should see how this meeting goes and then call in an advocate later if I feel I need one then.

Thanks,
Lauren

Message: 3