[Mdpobc] hello and introduction

Amy Phelps aphelps at BISM.org
Tue Nov 29 18:10:51 UTC 2011

Welcome Dezman! I for one am glad to have you on board. I also want to add that Dezman has the NOMC and NCLB certification through the National Blindness Professional Certification Board<http://www.nbpcb.org/>, which means Dezman is a cane travel instructor and meets the standards for teaching Literary Braille. Dezman brings with him a passion for working with blind children and youth and is a tremendous asset to our youth programs.

Please let us know of anything that we can do for you, your blind child, and educators. Very soon we will begin dreaming of our future programs and would like your input on what we can do to assist in making sure our blind children and youth of Maryland get whatever they need to be successful.

Again, welcome Dezman!

Thanks!
Amy C. Phelps
410-737-2642

Follow us: Facebook - Bism YouthPrograms
Twitter @BISM_Youth

"...given proper training and opportunity, the average blind person can do the average job in the average place of business and do it as well as his or her sighted neighbor..." --Dr. Kenneth Jernigan, quoted in "Freedom for the Blind" by James H. Omvig

Confidentiality Note:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

From: mdpobc-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:mdpobc-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Dezman Jackson
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:49 PM
To: mdpobc at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Mdpobc] hello and introduction

Hello all,

I am new to Maryland and the list and wanted to take a moment to introduce myself.  My name is Dezman and I come from the deep South of Alabama.  I was recently brought on to work with Amy Phelps, with whom I'm sure most of you are familiar,  as the youth programs coordinator at Blind Industries and Services of Maryland.  In addition to growing up as a blind person myself, my background also includes working in rehab teaching orientation and mobility, Braille and other sskills of blindness to youth and adults.  I look very much forward to working and collaborating with each of you in the coming months.  There's much in the works for youth at BISM including the coming debut of our mentoring program, and the expansion of our skills training programs to empower blind youth.  We are glad to be a resource to you and your family in any way possible!  Please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,
Dezman Jackson, NOMC, NCLB