[Mdpobc] TVI

Trudy Pickrel tlpickrel at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 2 02:54:09 UTC 2013

Read this letter from K. Anderson.  And thought of some of our new parents that are still struggling every day with the new diagnoses if blindness. Many of us have been there and are here for you.

You, Your Blind Child, and Your Family

So you've recently discovered that your child is blind. As a teacher of blind students, they will  be working with him or her on learning how to read and write Braille, how to use access technology to use a computer, how to travel with a long white cane, how to cook, and how to do other things that will make him or her a confident competent adult when he or she grows up. Our goal should be to provide your family the support, resources, and encouragement you need. I believe that, given the right tools and opportunity, blind people can live happy productive lives. This includes being equal participants in family life.

As a blind person myself I have had the opportunity to do many exciting things. I have rock climbed, gone white water rafting, and acted in plays. I have held leadership positions in state and national organizations dedicated to advancing the civil rights of blind people. As a child I climbed trees and scraped my knees along with the other kids in my neighborhood, and I believe these experiences, along with my parents high expectations for me, helped make me into a strong independent blind person.

Karen Anderson TVI

Www.keanderson.net

Your child will do the same with the right tools and training. Celebrate your child and all they will be, and will bless you with In the coming years.

Trudy Pickrel
President Md Parent Blind Children.
301-501-1818
Www.TLCbytheLake.com