[Mdpobc] Fundraiser Campaign for SMART Brailler

Amber Elia eliaam87 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 13:13:49 UTC 2013

Hello, everyone. I sincerely apologize for mistakenly sending my initial
email to the mailing list. That was not my intention and I am embarrassed
by that mistake.

Thank you to all the emails that I have received and those people who have
informed me of I CAN. I was not aware of that foundation and what it can
offer families dealing with blindness or low vision. My son is enrolled in
Pre-K through Frederick County. I haven't broached the idea of the school
system purchasing a SMART Brailler for him because I have been pushing for
longer hours that he is at school. Currently, he attends the mandated Pre-K
hours, about 2.5 hrs a day. His day is being extended until 1 pm, very
soon. And, there is the potential that he will end up attending a regular
full day of instruction. The school has been very willing to listen to me
and what I think provides Max with an adequate learning environment. He
does well with the Perkin's Brailler, that I am not sure they will say he
will benefit more from a SMART Brailler. At the NAPVI conference, Max was
able to explore it and just knowing how he learns I see that a machine like
that will be a great tool for him. I am just trying to "pick my battles". I
am still learning about the IEP, but the stories and experiences that have
been shared with me have always been tough. I don't want to stretch the
luck I have been experiencing by bringing up too much at once.

Again, I sincerely apologize!

Amber