[Mdpobc] FW: LBPH Summer Reading Program

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Fri Jun 13 13:23:26 UTC 2014

Also, many public libraries have very similar programs. When I was young, way back in the stone age, the public library in my home town gave out a free ticket to the zoo to any kid who read at least 800 minutes furing the summer. They had other programs and reading parties as well, with different themes and prizes each year. Obviously, the zoo one really stuck with me, especially since I was very proud of myself for reading that 800 minutes. It helped that a couple of my friends were doing it as well, so we would take about a half hour out of our day and read together. Sometimes to each other, and sometimes to ourselves. It's making me smile just to think about this. :)
Anyway, now that I have my own kids, we are going to the public library on Tuesday, my son's official first day of summer, to sign him and his sisters up for the reading program. We'll probably sign his sisters up for the LBPH program as well.
So, please check into the public library programs in VA for your student. Nothing says she has to read print books in order to participate in a public library program!
Happy reading!
Melissa