[Mdpobc] PARCC Testing

Trudy Pickrel tlpickrel at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:50:57 UTC 2015

Parents,

As many of you may be finding out our Students Test accommodation are being removed from their IEP's without a meeting, because they are not allowed on PARCC.
Items like a human reader, CCTV, Talking Calculators, etc.

Another parent was just told the same thing. She has  a link to a sample test that her two sons took and they stated they would need more accommodation then is allowed by PARCC to take the test. She was told we have to advocate for accommodations all over again.  We were told no readers and no CCTV.  And the results don't count this year ???

I was told our children could not opt out  but they could refuse to take the test, sit for 2 hrs and stare at the wall.  Keeping them out of school is not a option because there is a 2 -3 week window that they have to administer the test when ever the student comes back.

Attached in word form is a sample letter to your principle to opt out on the bases of privacy. Please become informed and make the best decision for your student.

Student Privacy Matters has recently posted information to support parents in understanding how they can exercise their rights to protect their children’s privacy under federal law.  As we have reviewed the documents there are a couple things that stand out as absolutely urgent for all parents to know. First, for parents of children under age 13, you have the right to review and REFUSE any online programs and online testing that your child is using – programs in which your child is entering the data (this does NOT include online programs the teacher is using to enter student data). The Children’s Online Privacy Protecting Act (COPPA) allows parents to control what information is collected online from their children twelve and under. Therefore, as a parent, you have a right to find out what information is being collected, you can review what information is being collected, and you can REFUSE to allow your child to participate in the online program.  You can simply opt your child out of the program – or the online test.
This has serious implications for the Opt Out movement. As PARCC and SBAC and other online tests roll out we have a national strategy that can be used, for all children under age 13, as we  opt out/refuse the tests. Currently, any other online programs and online testing in use for under age 13 can be halted.  We know that there will be many questions to answer as we move forward with this strategy – understand that the only way to get our questions answered  is to try it. Let’s do this.Parents also have rights under FERPA (although those rights have been reduced thanks to the US Dept of Ed). Rights include inspecting and correcting information in your child’s records and more – see here at Student Privacy Matters.  Parents have additional rights under PPRA in regard to federally funded surveys and more – see this link for more information. For an overview of all information please see this link at Student Privacy Matters (there are additional forms and strategies to use at their website, so we recommend taking time to review them all).  In addition, there are concerns for teachers who are allowing children to participate in online programs and/or online testing without parental consent – it may be viewed as forgery of parental consent – see this link starting at 14 minutes for more information – this might prove useful for teachers who refuse to administer tests and/or online curriculum. The UOO team is very grateful for all the work Student Privacy Matters has done to protect the privacy of our children and end the data mining that is being used to privatize our public schools. Many many thanks.
Here is the COPPA opt out form taken directly from the Student Privacy Matters website at www.studentprivacymatters.org.  This form will instruct your child’s school/district to contact the vendors/service providers (online curriculum and test programs)  on your behalf.  Student Privacy Matters states that you must keep all your records in case you need to file a complaint.

http://unitedoptout.com/

Trudy L. Pickrel

PS. Thank you Teresa Graham for the Link to Opt Out