[Mdpobc] {Disarmed} RE: Free Summer Fun Camp Deep Creek Lake

Trudy Pickrel tlpickrel at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 7 03:44:56 UTC 2015

The Deep Creek Lions Club is extending a invitation to the Blind Students of Maryland and Surrounding areas, To a Free Week of camping and Summer Fun at Deep Creek Lake.

There is no charge for this camp. But you need a family member to accompany Student and Transportation to Deep Creek Lake.  If you let us know Transportation is needed there may be other families coming that have room.

Please See Testimonial about Trip last year, below.

Camping at

Deep Creek Lake, MD

July
20-23

 Age 9 and Up

Deep Creek Lions and the  MDPOBC is
sponsoring a week of all expense paid

Camping, fishing, boating, Hiking, Inner
tubing, skiing, Jet Skis, miniature Golf, Pizza, Pizza and more Pizza,

Mountain Coaster at Wisp, etc.

Come join us

Let us know ASAP. We only have 2 spots
for student and a parent to chaperone Left. We do have
a couple parent willing to chaperone a couple students without a parent
Chaperone

TLpickrel at hotmail.com

Trudy Pickrel 301-501-1818   Dear Trudy, MD Parents of Blind Children, Deep Creek Lions Club,  Last year our family had the extraordinary opportunity to go camping with some exceptional children and some wonderfully dedicated volunteers in Deep Creek Maryland. When first invited we had never been camping for any extended period and had no idea what to expect. As a parent of a daughter with cerebral palsy and who is legally blind from a stroke at birth, we had found only a handful of summer camping opportunities and although all of them are wonderful, the Deep Creek trip a family favorite.  What we discovered was a program that was wonderfully executed to give visually impaired and blind children the opportunity to participate in activities and enjoy a vacation typical of their sighted peers.  Through the warmth, compassion of the Deep Creek Lions Club, the dedication and civil-minded volunteering of Boy Scout troop 49, and the generosity of Maryland Parents of Blind Children, the campers would participate in activities like hiking, swimming, boating, tubing, fishing, rock wall climbing, go-karting,  mountain coasting and many other activities previously thought unreachable for visually impaired campers.  In additional to the magnificent recreational programs the campers are taught independence and self-reliance as they assist in setting up their tents and support each other in the activities.  As a parent, the opportunity to chaperone and meet such inspirational children, supportive parents, and gracious volunteers was the highlight of our summer. I would strongly encourage anyone on the fence to consider participating in this unique opportunity. We plan to participate for as long as the program will have us. Sincerely C.H (Frederick MD)                         5 students on Banana Boat float               Brandon on Jet Ski               Christian on Jet Ski                Campers, Lions and Boy Scouts                Harrison on jet Ski                Harrison on inner tube               Harrison Water Skiing                Mothers Relaxing

Campers and Boy Scouts on inner Tubs

Trudy L. Pickrel
2nd Vice President
Maryland Parents of Blind Children