[Mdpobc] {Disarmed} FW: ABLE Alert - We need your feedback!

Stefanie Levy ssmdlevy at comcast.net
Thu Mar 9 22:18:17 UTC 2017

Good afternoon folks.

You will find a quick survey below as Maryland seeks input of the ultimate users on developing the ABLE program in our state.  I attended a program about 2 weeks ago in Baltimore and found it very informative, and I encourage you to go to a live program or find one of them online.  If you google Maryland ABLE or look up the Federal ABLE Act, you’ll be able to follow what’s going on.

To recap, Maryland is set to meet its deadline and to go live in October, 2017.  The first question that the state needs to answer is whether Maryland will roll out its own program (possibly costly and time consuming), join a consortium (some flexibility but agreement between many states needed to effect change), or partner with one state that’s already up and running (no flexibility; take program exactly as is).  What the state does depends on what WE want:  a checking account associated with the ABLE account; what types and amount of fees are tolerable as the program gets up and running?; who will have oversight?

If you’ve not already done so, I hope you’ll take the opportunity to look into ABLE a bit deeper than you have before and feel comfortable completing the survey.  I am no expert, but you can always shoot me an email to ssmdlevy at comcast.net or call me on my cell, 301-325-0095, if I might be of help.

Best to all,

Stefanie Levy, Aly’s mom