[Mdpobc] National Braille Readers are Leaders (BRAL) Contest

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 20 17:09:53 UTC 2017

Hello All!
Get ready to enter your children in our new National Braille Readers are
Leaders contest!  This is a good opportunity to encourage braille reading.
This contest is different than the Braille Challenge, because you do all of
it at home. However it is good preparation for the Braille challenge that
will occur on February 3, 2018.  In addition to the National prizes, we will
have some prizes and recognition for all Maryland participants.  See below
information and sign up quickly!!

*                     For each student who enters, a certifying official
(parent, teacher, etc.) must fill out and submit a registration form.
Registration forms can be submitted as early as November 15 2017 and as late
as February 1 2018.
*                     Kids enter in one of five grade categories: K-1, 2-3,
4-5, 6-8, & 9-12.
*                     Participants record Braille pages read in the weeks
between December 15 2017 and February 1 2018 on a reading log.
*                     The certifying official must submit the completed
reading log by February 10 2018.
*                     Prizes in each grade category are: first, $25; second,
$15; third, $10.
*                     Every contestant, whether a winner or not, will
receive a "goodie bag" containing Braille-related items at the end of the
contest.

In addition to awards in the five grade categories, the Kelly Doty Award is
given to a student who has met unusual challenges in order to learn and read
Braille. Such challenges include, but are not limited to, having other
disabilities in addition to blindness or being an English language learner.

The complete contest rules, registration form, and the reading log form will
be available by November 8 on the website,
https://www.nfbofillinois.org/nationwide-bral-contest/

Sharon Maneki, President
blindness is not what holds you back.