[MDPOBC] March 2021 Note

Maria de la Concepcion Hernandez Legorreta mariahl at mdschblind.org
Mon Mar 1 19:01:48 UTC 2021

​March 2021 MSB Outreach Note

[Logo of the Maryland School for the Blind. It reads: The Maryland School for the Blind, Achieving Independence]

March 2021

We have great updated information to share with you about webinars, information and upcoming events. Feel free to share with your colleagues.

March upcoming events
You can check out the most up to date events on the Maryland TVI Portal<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=ddfef5b762&e=f570d81d7e>. Email conchita.hernandez at maryland.gov<mailto:conchita.hernandez at maryland.gov> to add your events to the Portal
March

  *   2: NFB Career Mentoring Program Virtual pre-employment Training Modules. 7-9 PM EDT: Exploring Possible Careers Through Interest Evaluations. Zoom meeting information https://zoom.us/j/8451905685<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=3041c53ef9&e=f570d81d7e> Meeting ID: 845 190 5685
  *   3: NFB Career Mentoring Program Virtual pre-employment Training Modules. 5-7 pm EST. Exploring Your Interests Through Job Shadowing and Internships. Zoom meeting info: https://zoom.us/j/8451905685<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=fdc0196adf&e=f570d81d7e> Meetting ID: 845 190 5685
  *   4: NFB Career Mentoring Program Virtual pre-employment Training Modules.. Self-Advocating Toward Independence. 7-9 PM EST. Zoom meeting information: https://zoom.us/j/8451905685<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=ea23fa55ce&e=f570d81d7e> Meeting ID: 845 190 5685.
  *   5: APH: Navigation of Braille Certification. <https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=26b50c90aa&e=f570d81d7e> 1 pm EST.
  *   10: CVI Connect: CVI Live 'How to highlight salient features in our CViConnect Activity Designer' 3:30 pm Detroit time. Join Zoom Meeting<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=a8ff52624f&e=f570d81d7e> Meeting ID: 330 080 7882. Passcode: cviconnect
  *   10: APH: More Playful Experiences for Pre-Braille Instruction <https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=88f62395fd&e=f570d81d7e> (Lego Braille Bricks). 1 pm EST
  *   11: Career Education…Through the Years. <https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=13eb4d7c8a&e=f570d81d7e> 7 pm EST. I’m excited about this webinar! I really enjoy helping parents/teachers understand the importance of Career Education in the lives of children who are blind/Visually impaired. Career Education is one way that we can help our children to be better prepared for life after school, whether they are work bound, college bound or attending a trade school. Career Education is for EVERYBODY! The behaviors and skills that are incorporated in Career Education can be generalized to all aspects of the child’s life!!
  *   12: APH: MATT Connect: A Teacher’s Perspective.<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=1c2015ea9f&e=f570d81d7e> 12 pm EST.
  *   13: Transition LITE Program: Contact Contact Bethany Martin, Manager of Youth and Education Services. Phone: 202-573-9661 (cell). E-mail: bmartin at clb.org<mailto:bmartin at clb.org>
  *   16: APH: Up in the Clouds with Google Drive and JAWS. <https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=16d20dc349&e=f570d81d7e> 11:30 PM – 1:00 PM EST. Are you new to using Google Drive with JAWS? Want tips and keyboard shortcuts for accessing files from anywhere? Join us for an overview of Google Drive and introduction to the web interface. Soon you’ll have your files conveniently stored in the cloud.
  *   17: CBSS: Reunión del Grupo de Padres Latinos<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=7d2f2913db&e=f570d81d7e>
  *   26: The Space Next Door (Outlining the solar system).<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=c3291e8b9d&e=f570d81d7e> 3:30 PM EST. he Solar System is an exciting place for everyone. Jump aboard this class to learn more about our cosmic neighborhood. Instructor Josh Urban hosts an exploration of learning, covering topics like how the Sun works, where the Moon came from, why Saturn has a ring, and how far away mysterious Neptune is. The aim is not only to educate the student on existing scientific fact, but also to encourage them to engage with a field of study commonly (and erroneously) associated only with the visual. For blind and low vision students.
  *   30: CBSS: ASL Classifiers for beginners.<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=72b176c28d&e=f570d81d7e> We hear all about using classifiers with ASL, but do you really understand what a classifier is or how to use it? This online class is designed for beginners to understand what a classifiers is and how to use them correctly.

[2021 Maryland Regional Braille Challenge Logo. Picture shows 2021 Maryland Regional Braille Challenge Logo. Braille Readers Run on Dots appears in sym Braille. There are 4 icons in a row. The first icon shows hands reading dots, the second is a person running with a cane, the third icon shows the word "on" in print and the last icon shows a full Braille cell.]
2021 Maryland Regional Braille Challenge

Donut miss reading this! The results of the 2021 Maryland Regional Braille Challenge have been prepared! Here are the winners!

Apprentice:

1st Place - Maya Penna

2nd Place: Jermiah Mude

Freshman:

1st Place: Enny Osunkoya

2nd Place: Riley Sanders

3rd Place: Elizabeth Riccobono

Sophomore:

1st Place: Paul Bloxom

2nd Place:  Aaron Shrieves

3rd Place: Adam Shrieves

HM:  Oriana Riccobono

JV:

1st Place: Noami Jean Mills

2nd Place: Naudia Graham

3rd Place: Meredith Day

HM: Maria Zoerlein

HM: Tyler Huber

HM: Derrick Day

HM: Alexis McPhail

HM: Hanna Wages

Varsity:

1st Place: Julia Stockburger

2nd Place: Sujan Dhakal

3rd Place: Amadi Sullivan

HM: Tiffany Smith

If you have a Facebook account you can check out the recording of the Award Ceremony on Maryland School for the Blind's Facebook page<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=e548f74b77&e=f570d81d7e>.

Thank you for all of your support to make this event a success! The 2022 Maryland Regional Braille Challenge will be held on February 5th so mark your calendars! Participants are going to be riding a wave of Braille!

SAVE THE DATE FOR OUTREACH'S FIRST TECH TRIVIA CHALLENGE!

Monday, April 12th at 4 pm

This event will be held using the Zoom video conferencing platform. Students in middle and high school will work in teams to participate in a Jeopardy style game show. Participation will be limited to 20 students. The theme for this Tech Trivia Challenge will be screen readers. Questions will involve JAWS, NVDA, Chromevox and VoiceOver. Prizes will be awarded. More details to come!

Connections Beyond Sight and Sound: Family to Family Equipment Corner
Do you need equipment or supplies that might be available from another child or family?
Do you have equipment or supplies that are no longer used or needed by your child or family?

Good news!
Connections Beyond Sight and Sound is creating a Family-to-Family Equipment Corner — connecting parents and caregivers who are in need with parents and caregivers who are doing a good deed.

From bath chairs and walkers to adapted toys and clothing and other supports, our goal is to support families and link outgrown, no longer needed, or not being used materials that are in good condition to the folks who can use just that bit of treasure!

For more information on this new program or to see a list of currently available items, check out the Family to Family Equipment Corner <https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=091710785a&e=f570d81d7e>

Connections Beyond Sight and Sound Webinars
March 30, 3-5 pm EST: ASL Classifiers for beginners<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=aa4be54cf7&e=f570d81d7e>
We hear all about using classifiers with ASL, but do you really understand what a classifier is or how to use it? This online class is designed for beginners to understand what a classifiers is and how to use them correctly.

17 Marzo, 8-9 pm EST: Reunión del Grupo de Padres Latinos<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=35ee5dfbad&e=f570d81d7e> – (Parent support group in Spanish)
Únase al nuevo Grupo de Padres Latinos de ASDC. Este grupo se reunirá mensualmente. Las reuniones son gratuitas (solo regístrese a continuación) y se llevarán a cabo en español. Hablaremos sobre temas que son importantes para usted y su familia. Este grupo es solo para padres.

ECC Club Subscription Boxes
The E.C.C. Club Subscription box is now available<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=4aa3a026e5&e=f570d81d7e>, and each box will include a book, craft, and activity in a choice of braille or large print. The box also focuses on one Expanded Core Curriculum area each month so families and teachers can explore these skills in fun and meaningful ways.  The book features two characters who have a visual impairment.
Purchase Details

The boxes are available through Etsy for $35 for one month, or $30 per month for 3 or 6 month subscriptions.  Shipping is free. Boxes will ship the first of each month and items in each month’s box varies.  The deadline to receive the next month's box is the 20th of each month.

JAWS song
Working with students remotely can be a challenge. Check out this great song by the Texas Schoo. for the Blind to get kids excited about key commands. Song uses the tune of Little Nax X 'Old Town Road' Your students will be sure to enjoy it.
Find the JAWS Song here<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=c23a5435f8&e=f570d81d7e>

Accessibility webinars available
We now have all of our accessibility webinars available through the Maryland TVI Portal. They include Word document accessibility as well as PowerPoint accessibility. You will find the videos, PowerPoints, handouts and additional resources all in one place.

Check out the accessibility page here<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=7a279ed132&e=f570d81d7e>
Request FREE accessibility training for your staff
If you reside in Maryland, and work in a school system, you can request accessibility training for your staff. To do so email conchita.hernandez at maryland.gov<mailto:conchita.hernandez at maryland.gov>

CVI Webinars With Chris Russell available
We now have all 4 webinars presented by Chris Russell on CVI on the Maryland TVI Portal. You will find the videos, PowerPoints, handouts and additional resources all in one place. These webinars were put on by the DC/Maryland AER as well as the State Steering Committee Serving Students who are Visually Impaired.

C<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=0de3f22f98&e=f570d81d7e>heck out the CVI resources here <https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=2c7ed92cc0&e=f570d81d7e>

Learning about Space for Blind and Low Vision Students
2-part webinar series in 1-hour sessions

Session 1:  The Space Next Door (Outlining the solar system)
         March 26. 3:30 pm EST
The Solar System is an exciting place for everyone. Jump aboard this class to learn more about our cosmic neighborhood. Created specifically for blind and low vision students

Educational Objectives: In this session, students will learn:

  *   Basic characteristics of the Solar System
  *   The scale and distances involved
  *   Introduction to the Astronomical Unit (AU)
  *   Basic solar concepts (example: why stars shine)
  *   Laying groundwork for more advanced topics presented in future sessions

Register for Session 1 here<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=0a25e610ce&e=f570d81d7e>

Session 2: Voyage into The Deep  (Introducing the rest of space)
            April 23. 3:30 pm EST
We'll talk about stars, black holes, galaxies, and other fascinating topics. Join instructor Josh Urban on a trip across the light years to learn about the incredible Universe we live in.

Educational Objectives: In this class, students will learn:

  *   How far a Light Year is
  *   The scale and distance of the observable universe
  *   A variety of astronomical objects: Moons, Planets, Stars, Star Clusters, Nebulae, Galaxies, and Black Holes
  *   How astronomers observe, including radio astronomy (listening vs. seeing), and theoretical pursuits

Register for Session 2 here<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=6188d45d86&e=f570d81d7e>

Last CVI Webinar from MD/DC AER and the State Steering committee Serving Visually Impaired Students

Apr 7, 2021 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Topic: Conducting an Informal CVI Range Assessment Virtually During the 20-21 School Year<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=fc2e0a028f&e=f570d81d7e>
Register in advance for this webinar. This webinar will NOT be recorded.

NFB Career Mentoring Program Virtual pre-employment Training Modules
For ages 14-21
Online mentee application for the NFB Mentoring program here<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=8d326357b1&e=f570d81d7e>

March 2, 2021 at 7-9 PM EDT: Exploring Possible Careers Through Interest Evaluations
Measurable Goal: After completing this module, students will be aware of potential career paths that align with their interests and will be familiar with a variety of strategies they can use to learn about those careers.
Topics Addressed:
1. Gathering information about yourself
2. Conducting interest evaluations
Zoom meeting information
https://zoom.us/j/8451905685<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=5d4588b6e4&e=f570d81d7e> Meeting ID: 845 190 5685

March 3, 2021 at 5-7 PM EDT: Exploring Your Interests Through Job Shadowing and Internships
Measurable Goal: After completing this module, students will be familiar with various additional tools for exploring careers such as job shadowing, internships, and apprenticeships. The students will learn about the steps required to pursue and effectively prepare for these opportunities.
Topics Addressed:
1. Tools for hands-on job exploration, including job shadowing
2. The value of internships and apprenticeships
3. How to find internship and apprenticeship opportunities
4. The ins and outs of vocational schools
Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/8451905685<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=26040d5598&e=f570d81d7e> Meeting ID: 845 190 5685

March 4, 2021 at 7-9 PM EDT: Self-Advocating Toward Independence
Measurable Goal: After completing this module, students will understand the concept of self-advocacy and the relationship between effective self-advocacy skills and living the lives they want. Students will examine the nature of independence and address strategies for achieving independence. They will further explore the difference between equal rights and special treatment.
Topics:
1. Self-advocacy strategies for learning to live independently and with confidence
2. How do we learn to speak up for what we need, or don’t need, in order to avoid unwanted help?
3. The difference between equal rights and special treatment
Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/8451905685<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=9f737be8b1&e=f570d81d7e> Meeting ID: 845 190 5685

Contact: Maurice Peret. (410) 659-9314, extension 2350| MPeret at nfb.org<mailto:MPeret at nfb.org> Mobile (804) 928-4015

Columbia LightHouse for the Blind:
Lighthouse Innovative Transition to Employment (LITE) Program
WHAT IS LITE?
The purpose of The LITE Program is to help teens build the skills necessary to succeed in higher education, work settings and their community. Teens will participate in training sessions and activities related to job readiness skills, organization, time management, problem solving, independent living skills, assistive technology skills development and self-advocacy. Teens will be given the opportunity to develop their post high school goals along with a plan on how to achieve them.

WHEN: Teens will meet for monthly workshops, culminating in an optional Internship Experience Program. Workshops are held from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Teens are strongly encouraged to attend each session.

2021 Remaining Workshop Dates: 3/13/21, 4/17/21, 5/15/21 & 6/12/21

WHERE: To accommodate social distancing and guidelines for health and safety related to COVID-19, CLB will be hosting workshops on a Zoom video conference platform. Virtual programming will continue until it is determined safe to return to in-person instruction. This transition will be made under strict guidance from CDC recommended practices and government regulations. If and when in-person instruction is determined safe, all workshops will take place at the Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind Silver Spring Office: 8757 Georgia Avenue, Suite 805, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
Computer access can be provided.

For additional information and registration packet:  Contact Bethany Martin, Manager of Youth and Education Services
Phone: 202-573-9661 (cell)
E-mail: bmartin at clb.org<mailto:bmartin at clb.org>

The Bridges Project Helpdesk: Always Free and Confidential
The Free Bridges Helpdesk provides ready access to dedicated blind adults and blindness education experts. We are prepared to answer a wide variety of questions, and we are eager to invest the time to ensure that you get thorough and helpful answers.
We are here to support educators as well as students and families of blind/low vision students anywhere in Maryland. Building bridges takes time, resources, and support, but great bridges allow blind/low vision students to choose their pathways and live the lives they want.
All inquiries are confidential, and we will never share identifying information from anyone who contacts the Helpdesk.
Contact us

  *   Accessible web form<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=d32ae81b3f&e=f570d81d7e>
  *   Send us a text: (410) 305-9199
  *   Email: Helpdesk at imagemd.org<mailto:Helpdesk at imagemd.org>
  *   Visit our Bridges Helpdesk website<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=bbc4def0d3&e=f570d81d7e>
  *   Call (443) 320-4003, leave a voice mail message, and we will return your call

Access information
Please check out our Bridges Helpdesk website<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=fac180d706&e=f570d81d7e> and our Bridges Blog (weekly Transition Tips)<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=95d129b58b&e=f570d81d7e>.
Check out, follow, or send a message through our Facebook page<https://maryland.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=da8f913f82891276e85e5bd03&id=15260de828&e=f570d81d7e>.
Stay tuned for student-focused activities coming soon
We are planning some great activities this spring to provide students fun opportunities to practice assistive technology, social, and independent living skills in authentic and meaningful ways. Please look out for more information in the coming weeks!
About us
This unique project is being coordinated through The IMAGE Center of Maryland, a center for independent living in Towson, and it is funded by a grant from the Maryland Department of Education Division of Special Education/Early Intervention Services.

--
Conchita Hernandez
Statewide Blind and Low Vision Specialist
Division of Special Education/Early
     Intervention Services
200 W. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201-2595
410-767-0812 office
410-333-8165 fax
conchita.hernandez at maryland.gov<mailto:conchita.hernandez at maryland.gov>

Click here
<http://www.doit.state.md.us/selectsurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?agencycode=MSDE&SurveyID=86M2956>
 to complete a three question customer experience survey.