[MDPOBC] FW: Events for Blind Children with NFBMD and MDPOBC

melissaariccobono at gmail.com melissaariccobono at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 17:49:56 UTC 2024

Exciting opportunities coming up!

From: Stephanie Cascone <treasurermdpobc at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2024 5:03 PM
To: Stephanie Cascone <treasurermdpobc at gmail.com>
Subject: Events for Blind Children with NFBMD and MDPOBC

3 Upcoming Events for Blind Children!

The Maryland Parents of Blind Children (MDPOBC) is excited to share the following opportunities.

Saturday, April 20: Breakfast and Bake Auction

Join us! The MDPOBC breakfast and bake auction will take place Saturday, April 20, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. The location is the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute; 200 East Wells St.; Baltimore, MD, 21230.

>From 7 a.m. until 10 a.m., parents and children will cook and serve breakfast. The members of the Greater Baltimore Chapter, and any other NFBMD members who would like to visit the chapter on this day, will be able to enjoy the breakfast the parents and children prepare. No cost to attend breakfast; donations welcome.

At 10 a.m., the monthly meeting of the NFBMD Greater Baltimore Chapter will begin. Not only will meeting attendees be able to take part in all of the usual meeting events (hearing what the Greater Baltimore Chapter is doing in the community, discussing national, state, and local happenings, listening to the Presidential Release, etc.) but you will be able to bid on delicious baked goods that are auctioned off to the highest bidder throughout the meeting or buy some treats between 1 and 5 dollars at the bake sale table.

In the past bake sale items have included cupcakes, muffins, bags of cookies, etc. Items auctioned off have included a Jewish Apple Cake, brownies, entire batches of cookies, various loaves of bread, cheesecakes, and more!

If you are interested in volunteering for breakfast or donating baked goods, please email  <mailto:TeresaGraham3 at gmail.com> TeresaGraham3 at gmail.com. Thank you!

Saturday, May 4: NFB STEM2U

Join us at the National Federation of the Blind (200 E Wells Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21230) from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 4. We will become astronomers through the study of astrophysics and engineering. Join us to build models of the James Webb Space Telescope, learn about the Earth’s atmosphere, discover why the Webb was sent to space, and explore how it studies space. STEM can be accessible; let us show you how! For more information, please contact Erin Zobell at  <mailto:erin.zobell at gmail.com> erin.zobell at gmail.com.

 <https://nfb.org/form/nfb-stem2u-application> Register for STEM2U now.

August 5-16: NFB BELL® Academy

Join the NFB of Maryland for our NFB BELL Academy program in Baltimore, August 5-16 from 9:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m., weekdays only. In addition to Braille crafts, games and other engaging projects, children will learn vital independent living skills, interact with blind adult mentors and enjoy field trips to sites related to the NFB BELL Academy curriculum. Lunch will be provided. For more information or additional questions please contact  <mailto:melissaariccobono at gmail.com> Melissa Riccobono.

Complete the  <https://nfb.org/form/bell-combo-reg> NFB BELL Academy registration form today (also available in  <https://nfb.org/es/form/bell-combo-reg> Spanish).

About MDPOBC

The Maryland Organization of Parents of Blind Children (MDPOBC) is a proud division of the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children and the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland. We are a statewide membership organization of parents and friends of blind children reaching out to each other to give vital support, encouragement, and information to raise expectations of what it means to be blind.