[Micgdu] draft of constitution

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 24 01:20:44 UTC 2016

Derek and All,

                Thank you for sending this to me. I have a few comments on the constitution I would like to make, based upon some revisions to our model constitution.

Article I

The name of this organization shall be the Michigan Association of Guide Dog Users, a division of the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan.

(this adds the phrase, “a division of the …)

Article IV

Section 1

I think you would be wise to delete the phrase about the term of office, as it is redundant and could cause problems when the first round of terms expire, since the vice president, treasurer, and one board member will only serve a one-year term initially.

Article V

We have modified the model constitution to read, “The Board of Directors shall meet at the call of the President or on written call signed by a majority of the Board.” This is to avoid the board being hijacked by a minority of its members.

Article VI

We would prefer the use of the term “annual meeting” rather than “regular meeting”. Some affiliate divisions are holding membership meetings more frequently than annually and, as such, are able to conduct business, such as amending constitutions, modifying dues, and the like without the necessity to wait until the annual meeting at the convention. The annual meeting is a specific meeting during which elections are held. Therefore, the article would read

“This organization shall hold its annual meeting at the Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan.”

Article IX

It is not a good idea to have the amount of the dues set by the constitution. Doing so requires a constitutional amendment to change the amount of the dues and the supermajority prescribed for such an amendment.

Article IX

This provision is incongruent with Article VIII; therefore, you may want to modify it to say something like

“In the event that no Division is reorganized for a period of two (2) years from the date this organization ceases to be a Division of the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan, the assets shall be disbursed as provided for in Article VIII.”

Article XII

Amendments must also be compliant with the policies of the National Association of Guide Dog Users, so simply adding this would accomplish this.

I am looking forward to the state where I first joined the national Federation of the Blind creating an affiliate division of NAGDU. You will be our 14th division! Perhaps my wife and I can join you at your next convention and celebrate your charter with you!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala