[Missouri-parents-network] Parent Leadership Program

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 6 18:02:24 UTC 2010

We have the opportunity to send one or two parents to the parent leadership
program sponsored by the National Federation of the Blind.  This would
involve going to the Washington Seminar and also to the national convention
in Orlando, Florida.  Implied in this commitment is not only being present
at the two events but also taking an active role in helping us build and
strengthen a parents division here in Missouri.

Please look over the e-mail I have pasted at the bottom of this message, and
let me know if any of you are interested.

Gary

Dear State Presidents,

Dr. Maurer has again approved funding the Parent Leadership Program. We are
seeking new recruits for the PLP that will be held at our 2011 Washington
Seminar. Do you have one or two parents who are willing to start or build a
parents' division in your state?  These parents will need to make a
commitment to help your affiliate recruit other parents of blind children,
serve as a resource and advocate to other parents of blind children in your
state, and organize parent meetings and seminars. Please send us the names
and contacts of these parents. They will then be invited to Washington
Seminar, so that they can participate in workshops where they will learn how
they can organize and help other parents in your state. They should arrive
on Saturday, January 29th and stay at least through Tuesday, February 1st.
Funding will be available to help them attend Washington Seminar. These
parents will meet a second time at our 2011 National Convention and again be
offered funding.

Please let us know by December 17, 2010. If you had a parent participate in
the Parent Leadership Program during the 2010 National Convention in Dallas,
they will be invited to Washington Seminar. If you had a parent participate
in both the 2010 Washington Seminar and National Convention, they will be
invited to attend Washington Seminar as a second-year participant. In this
case, the second-year participants will receive partial funding of $500
towards their expenses.  We will keep you informed as to who accepts the PLP
invitation. We are looking forward to hearing about the potential leaders
from your state!  Thanks so much for you help!

Best,

Joanne Wilson

Executive Director of Affiliate Action

National Federation of the Blind