[Missouri-parents-network] MU mentoring program

Gina Applebee ginacofc at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 26 06:36:08 UTC 2010

! MU Sight Club Mentoring Program !

Do you like learning???

Ever wonder about being blind in college, or living life on your own?
We’re doing it, and would love to share it with you!

who we are:
Gretchen Maune
Academic Interests:
English (BA), Political Science, Law, History, Religious Studies, Classics, Art and Archaeology, Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, and Women’s Studies.
Other Passions:
Reading, Animals, Trivia, Activism, writing, web accessibility, coffee, and learning about different cultures.
More about Gretchen:
She lost her sight 3 and ½ years ago due to a rare genetic disorder known as Leber’s Hereditary Optic Neuropathy.  I am mostly blind, though I can see light and dark and some large shapes. She’s 27 years old, and has a golden retriever Leader Dog named Keeper.

Gina Marie Ceylan
Academic Interests:
 Geology (BS), Ocean Science (MS), Science Education (PhD candidate), Physics, Astronomy, Biology, Psychology, Geography....
Other Passions:
People, music, audiobooks, exploring, running, swimming, climbing, tandem biking, traveling, camping, sculpture, food, life...
More about Gina:
She is almost totally blind due to a type of retinal degeneration. She is 25, a vegetarian (except for fish), and her husband (Savas) is Turkish. Also, Gina has a retired, yellow lab Leader Dog (Mitchell), two cats, and lots of vinyl records.

Jannelle Morris
Academic Interests: Social work, reading, and spelling.
Other Passions:
Music, going for walks, working with animals, and helping people in general.
More about Janelle:
Janelle is visually impaired due to Extreme Myopia and severe stigmatism. She’s from Odessa, MO, and I has a spunky golden retriever guide dog from Washington, Kansas.

Paul Heddings
Academic Interests:
Political Science, Pre-law
Other Passions:
Music, sports, playing symbols in Marching Missou, mock trial team, and the MU Chancellor’s Committee for Persons with Disabilities
More about Paul:
Paul is visually impaired due to retinal detachment, and started losing his sight in high school, but he adapted quickly and is still very active. He’s from Carrolton, MO, and very interested in World War II.

Lindsay Wiliford
Academic Interests:
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Other Passions:
Music, rugby, and camping
More about Lindsey:
Lindsey has low vision due to retinal scarring. She’s from St Charles, MO, and she like Batman.

some stuff we can do:
Talk, answer your questions, share resources, and teach you what we know.
Spend a day in our lives. We can show you around campus, learn from different departments, get some lunch (maybe ice cream), create art, play in the recreation center, or walk through town... what do you want to do?

Interested? We’d like to hear your questions and ideas! Contact:

Gina Marie Ceylan
(843) 670-7310
ginacofc at hotmail.com
or find me on Facebook!