[Mn-abs] FW: [Cabs-talk] Action Plan, Part 4

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 15:47:39 UTC 2009

The below is a response to my last installment.  I share it here because it
flushes out the last of my points, that of community service, and I hope
other states may take from it and engineer their own community involvement
strategies.

Joe Orozco

Subject: Re: [Cabs-talk] Action Plan, Part 4

    This is sensational.
Like Joe says so many great ideas and we only need to latch onto a few and
work those as the snowball gains momentum you can add more wood to the fire.
I know when Terra and I did the American cancer society's walkathon the
second year we organized a team. Because of our rural setting we only had 5
participants 4 of whom showed. Four of the five were blind.  We got some
press coverage from the Antelope valley press and did the best we could but
we didn't have nfb philosophy to the degree I would've liked.
We raised money also through selling candy but because Terra and I were the
only sellers we actually lost money because we couldn't move the candy fast
enough.
How awesome it could have been to have a student team raising  a couple
grandmaybe even being in the top ten!  The Celebration of life the cancer
society holds happens every year it happens in our case at the local
community college.  It's 24-hours long and the team is suposed to keep
someone on the track at all times, obviously we didn't because we didn't
have enough people but early on we did get help because an ROTC class
volunteered to help us in whatever ways they could.
We brought a tent a card table and we sold more of the candy but we also
watched the bands walked about to the other booths etc.
Just think how much literature a student division team could pass out we
could put something together like the California association of blind
students is happy to join the thousands of people across the country who
today are collectively fighting for a cure.
Perhaps we could connect with a form of cancer that causes blindness and use
that as a lever to tie in the NFB and of course blind students who fight for
a cure.
Another posability that a local student chapter could perhaps launch is
really good in light of the current ecconomic downturn. It is something
usually operated by churches but it could easily be done by a chapter and
what a switch the blind helping the sighted with their food needs.
I'm talking about ANgel food ministries.
The food is overall pretty good and for about $30 you can get about double
in food value.
They do distribute a doctrinal magazine but it's nonobtrusive in that they
simply have someone ask would you like a magazine if they say yes you give
them the publication if no you don't and if lots of people come to your food
distribution your going to get good press coverage just because the
uniqueness of blind people running it.
And, if they sign your organization up for each box of food you distribute
the organization gets a dollar.
eed perhaps some sighted volunteers if you can get them.  The food is set up
on an assembly line and is distributed once a month for two hours.  It can
even be done in a parking lot. The truck brings the food on a saturday.
Many people purchase online and those who don't have to contact you and pay
ahead of time.  Two days before the event someone calls and reminds them to
come pick up their food.  If they fail to show their money is forfeited and
the food is donated to a local charity.
Thinking as Joe has mentioned we have everything to gain a couple hundred
dollars or more depending on how many people come, for a day's work.
dialogue with the community showing blind people as competent by
distrigbuting food and even if need be helping carry boxes to the people's
cars.
WHat do you think
Mike