[Mn-abs] From the Nabs membership committee

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 14:06:15 UTC 2009

Dear Nabs membership
 We would like to thank everybody who could attend the membership
discussion regarding elections.   We greatly value your participation
and enthusiasm; for without it, we would not have an organized student
division.
 As Chairs of the membership committee, we would like to initiate a
topic discussion series including topics that would most interest you,
that we discuss via conference call.  Below we have listed five topics
that may or may not peek your interest.  If these topics sound good,
we’ll look further into making them happen.   If they don’t Jump off
of the page and grab you, and you might have suggestions for topics
that might be of particular interest to blind students, please let us
know, and we’ll do our best to make it happen. The  nabs membership
committee  is excited  and  looks forward to getting the opportunity
to work with all of you, and wants this exciting series of
thought-provoking and interactive discussions to be built  by and for
you all as students. Also, if you may have interest, we plan on having
guest speakers to facilitate the discussions. Thank you in advance for
your constructive feed back and thoughtful suggestions; as our goal is
to find a way to get the membership communicating on subjects that we
would all like to learn and discuss more about.
 One final thing; if you would like  to assist in recruiting guest
speakers for the conference call series, or   if you would  like to
help out  with  the membership committee please feel free to contact
either Janice or myself, Thanks.
 Contact info:  Janice Jeang- Janice.jeang at gmail.com

Darian Smith- dsmithnfb at gmail.com

Suggested topics

External outreach/relations: Service learning.

 How can your local division/chapter get involved in the community?
 What are the Benefits of getting involved?

Why ought we get involved (Social responsibility, Perception-changing?)

What is Service learning?

Students in Sports; how the individual student can get involved in
sports and recreational activities.

What kinds of sports can blind people get involved with?

How can I get involved?

Why is involvement in sports important for an individual (blind or not)?

Dating and relationships

Fashion (what’s cool to wear on a date)

Proper conduct and helpful hints (how to conduct one’s self/techniques
one can use at clubs, restaurants and theaters)

 Career; I can really do that?!

What kinds of unique jobs do blind people hold?

How did they get there?

How did they show that they could be successful in their job?

Blind Parenting?

>From Hospital to home; how did they do it? (How does one perceive the
blind parent in the hospital?)

How does one insure their child is safe, happy, and healthy?
(Alternative techniques for feeding, changing, monitoring your child…
and more!)

How does one navigate general public perception of the blind parent?

 Contact info:  Janice Jeang- Janice.jeang at gmail.com

Darian Smith- dsmithnfb at gmail.com

Suggested topics

External outreach/relations: Service learning.

 How can your local division/chapter get involved in the community?
 What are the Benefits of getting involved?

Why ought we get involved (Social responsibility, Perception-changing?)

What is Service learning?

Students in Sports; how the individual student can get involved in
sports and recreational activities.

What kinds of sports can blind people get involved with?

How can I get involved?

Why is involvement in sports important for an individual (blind or not)?

Dating and relationships

Fashion (what’s cool to wear on a date)

Proper conduct and helpful hints (how to conduct one’s self/techniques
one can use at clubs, restaurants and theaters)

 Career; I can really do that?!

What kinds of unique jobs do blind people hold?

How did they get there?

How did they show that they could be successful in their job?

Blind Parenting?

>From Hospital to home; how did they do it? (How does one perceive the
blind parent in the hospital?)

How does one insure their child is safe, happy, and healthy?
(Alternative techniques for feeding, changing, monitoring your child…
and more!)

How does one navigate general public perception of the blind parent?

 Darian Smith
 Board member/Co-membership Chair-National Association of Blind Students

--
"And if you will join me in this improbable quest, if you feel destiny
calling, and see as I see, a future of endless possibility stretching