[Mn-abs] Pre-Convention homework, and more

Jennifer Dunnam jennifer.dunnam at earthlink.net
Thu May 19 04:08:06 UTC 2011

Dear Federationists:

A few more items of note about the convention:

1.  The Homework. One of the items on the agenda is entitled "What Are We Doing?" This will be an opportunity for each person in attendance to say one concise sentence in answer to the question-you guessed it, "what are you doing."  The purpose is to form a collective picture of the wide variety of activities that blind people can and do participate in and perhaps use this information in our public education efforts-to improve the general public's view of and expectations about blindness.  Please think ahead of time about something you are doing that can be used for this effort.  It can be something you are working on for your job, or something you are doing for fun, or something you are doing because it is your responsibility-etc. etc.

Examples:

Grilling in my backyard this weekend.

Getting ready for my new job.

Grading final exams.

Looking forward to playing stringball later this month.

Helping my eight-year-old son with his homework.

Working out at the gym three times a week.

Making croissants from scratch.

Writing a grant.

(No doubt your actual sentences will be better than my examples!)

Again, remember: think ahead of time of one sentence, as descriptive yet succinct as you can make it.

2. The agenda of the afternoon session of the Minnesota Association of Blind Students will feature, among other things, Speakers from the University of Minnesota and from the Communication Center of State Services for the Blind.

3.  May Vang will be providing ten-minute chair massages at the convention for $10.   If you are interested, please plan to check in with her crew in the morning, well before the convention call to order, so that you can get on the schedule.

See you at the semiannual convention this Saturday.