[Mn-abs] Student Seminar Agenda

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Mar 28 21:23:22 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

Due to an oversight on my part, my recently mailed reminder concerning this Saturday's Student Seminar
did not include the agenda.  Since I sent the reminder to a large list, I don't feel comfortable
following up that reminder with another message, so I am asking that anyone who knows of someone who
should see this agenda help us out by forwarding it.  The agenda is attached as a Microsoft Word
document
for easy printing and it is also included in the text below.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

Minnesota Association of Blind Students
2012 Spring Seminar
National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota Headquarters
100 E 22nd St
Minneapolis, Minnesota

9:00  Welcome! & Call to Order
Cindy Bennett, Regional Representative, National Association of Blind Students
9:10  Whos Here?
	Introductions
9:20  Whats Happenin at the Communication Center?
	Donna Marhoun, Braille Section, Communication Center
	Linda Woodstrom, Audio Section, Communication Center
9:40  Q&A
9:50  Working with Disability Services
Jennifer Scheffler, Disability Services, Minneapolis Community & Technical  College
10:20  Q&A
10:25  A Tale of Two Student Panels
	Transition to College, NFB Conference Room
	Transitioning to Graduate School, Lunchroom

10:55  Career Examples
Charlotte Czarnecki, Federal Investigator, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Steve Jacobson, Lead Data Quality Analyst, 3M Company
George Wurtzel, Industrial Arts Instructor, BLIND, Inc., and Carpenter
11:25  A Discussion of Public Transportation
	Chad McGuire, University of Minnesota Humphrey School of Public Affairs
11:55  Q&A

12:00 noon  1:00  Lunch

1:00  Breakout Sessions!
Choose two of these to go to for thirty minutes each.
	How to Get a Job
		Charlotte Czarneki, Steve Jacobson, & George Wortzel
			NFB Conference Room, 2nd (Main) Floor
	A Taste of Video Description
		Emily Bell, Jeremy Fisher, & Max Duckler, CaptionMax
			Seminar Room, 1st Floor
	Dating & Relationships
Ryan Strunk, Communications Instructor at BLIND, Inc., and past president, National Association of Blind
Students
			Conference Room, 3rd Floor
	Eating Healthy On Campus
		Aly Slaughter
			Travel Room, 3rd Floor
2:00  TekFair!
Take this opportunity to check out tons of different technology, from JAWS & BrailleNotes, to iPods &
iPadsand more!  Find out what is available, and what could work best for you.
		Lunchroom
2:45  Gather Together & Grand Cash Prize
3:00  Adjourn

Registration is only $10 and includes lunch!
Please join us for a day of fun and learning!

SPECIAL THANK YOU&
The Minnesota Association of Blind Students would like to extend a special thank you to the following:
"	National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota
"	BLIND, Incorporated
"	Minnesota Community & Technical College
"	State Services for the Blind
"	Apple
"	CaptionMax
"	And all of the days presenters