[MN-ABS] Reminders and Information for our Walk for Opportunity this Saturday

dandrews920 at comcast.net dandrews920 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 8 20:58:10 UTC 2023

Federation friends,

Our Walk for Opportunity is right around the corner, this coming Saturday,
September 9! Here are a few things to know in advance of the event-whether
you're walking, working a checkpoint, or cheering us on!

All Walkers Welcome!

Although our primary location for the event this year will be in
Minneapolis, we have Federationists in greater Minnesota who are
walking/fund-raising as well. It is great to have everyone's participation!

Everyone can Help!

We hold this event to raise funds so that we can do our work in the NFB of
Minnesota. Whether you'll be at the event on Saturday or not, it's not too
late to donate in honor of a walker or to make a last pitch to your friends
and neighbors; donations can be made online by going to www.nfbmn.org
<http://www.nfbmn.org>  and using the "donate" link. In the Dedication
field, have them put the name of a walker and "walk for Opportunity."

Sponsors:

We thank all of the sponsors of our 42nd Annual Walk for Opportunity! We
appreciate their support as we work to transform dreams into reality and
spread the word that blindness is not what holds us back!

COLLABORATING SPONSORS

EZ2SeeR Products

EZ2SeeR Products is proud to support the work of the National Federation of
the Blind. Our products are designed by and for those dealing with vision
loss. Each year, our large-print, high-contrast weekly calendars and other
aids for staying organized help thousands. Explore our website,
EZ2SeeProducts.com <https://ez2seeproducts.com/> .

The Low Vision Store

The Low Vision Store is a Family Owned and run business for over 30 years,
with over 90 years of employee experience. Daily Living Aids, Magnifiers,
Blindness Products, Text To Speech (OCR).
(651) 203-2200] | thelowvisionstore.com <https://thelowvisionstore.com/>

SUPPORTING SPONSORS

The UPS Store Uptown

Proud supporter and printer of the National Federation of the Blind of
Minnesota's 42nd Annual Walk for Opportunity
The UPS Store Uptown is a locally Woman owned small business for over 20
years. Please consider us for all your printing, shipping, shredding, faxing
and US Postal products.
P: 612.822.0022 | F: 612.822.5813
https://locations.theupsstore.com/mn/minneapolis/2801-hennepin-ave-s

Big Snack Vending

Big Snack Vending is proud to support NFBMN's Walk for Opportunity. As a
blind owned business, Big Snack Vending recognizes and is grateful for all
that NFBMN does.
We at Big Snack want to invite all members and supporters of NFBMN to share
in our successes and take pride in what we are building in Southern
Minnesota.
We would like to thank NFBMN for raising the expectations for all blind
Minnesotans, and being such a vital part of us living the life we want.
bigsnackvending at aol.com <mailto:bigsnackvending at aol.com>  | 507-514-3277

Zoom:

We will use Zoom to stream the kick-off at 10:00, have a brief check-in
about 11:45, and stream the closing program a little after 1:30PM. You can
listen in tomorrow at
https://nfb-org.zoom.us/j/95150216536?pwd=WUhudnV5YWVFZzgxb2FhN3N1NDJ5UT09
The dial-in is

One-Tap Mobile: +13092053325,,95150216536#

The dial-in is

309 205 3325, meeting ID ,95150216536

T-shirt Description

Participants who were able to register by Aug 27, and those who had them
from last year, will wear a t-shirt that looks like this:

On the blue shirt appears, in white, our name and logo as well as the
following graphic (thanks to Jen and Marcus Sawczyn for the cool design!)

Several lines that resemble a sunburst shoot out from the top and to the
sides of the word "WALK." The second line features two icons; the left is a
person with an outstretched cane and the right is a person walking with a
guide dog.  The word "FOR" is in between these. The final line has
"OPPORTUNITY". Between the word "OPPORTUNITY" and the horizontal NFB of
Minnesota logo are two horizontal lines of squiggles resembling water.

Route

A detailed description of the Minneapolis walk route was sent to all those
who signed up to participate. For the information of all, here is an
overview of the route:

Start on the Mall between Humboldt and Irving. Walk west to James, then head
north to Lake of the Isles to walk counterclockwise around it. Walk almost
all the way around the lake, getting off after the Kenilworth Bridge. Take
Dean Parkway west and south, cross lake street, and then walk
counterclockwise around Lake Bde Maka Ska. Get off at Thomas Avenue, cross
lake Street, and walk a little west to our lunch spot at Urban Eatery.

Paper copies of the detailed description will also be available in print and
braille at our meeting place.

Along the route are "checkpoints" where friendly Federationists will be
there to hand out water, to cheer on the participants, and to assist as
needed. Thank you to the checkpoint workers and to our driver!

All Participants: Smart Preparation for a 10K Walk

Don't forget to wear comfortable walking shoes, drink plenty of water, use
sunscreen, and charge your exercise tracker if you have one. We also highly
recommend bringing hand sanitizer and tissues; packing along your snack of
choice is also a good idea in case you need sustenance on the journey.

Minneapolis Participants: Arrival and Starting

We will meet at the Mall between Humboldt and Irving. (The Mall, which is
between the two one way sections of W. 29th Street, begins behind the Uptown
branch of the Minneapolis Public Library and is accessible from Hennepin by
a sidewalk. If you are taking rideShare, have them let you off at the Walker
Library 2880 Hennepin Avenue South, or on Lagoon just around the corner from
the library).

We will gather there between 9:30 and 10:00AM, to be ready for our kick-off
right at 10:00. Once you arrive at the meeting spot, you can hand in any
remaining checks and cash . On the walk, people generally tend to walk in
groups, and there's certainly no need for anyone to walk alone. Don't
hesitate to ask ahead, or during the morning gathering, if you want to be
sure you have someone with whom to walk.

Minneapolis Participants: Lunch and Closing:

Minneapolis participants are invited to have lunch together at The Urban
Eatery, which has a variety of food options and reasonable menu prices.
There we will have our closing where we hear how much we have raised from
the event, and who the top fund-raisers were, etc.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone already who has raised and made contributions, helped
with planning, and pitched in wherever needed. It takes the help of many
people to make this happen.

See everyone at the walk!!

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson, President

National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota

www.nfbmn.org <http://www.nfbmn.org/>

(612) 872-9363

Pronouns: he, him, his

www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org/>