[Mn-at-large] Letter on Annual Convention

Andrews, David B (DEED) david.b.andrews at state.mn.us
Mon Aug 29 15:52:12 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBMN-News [mailto:nfbmn-news-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jennifer Dunnam via NFBMN-News
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 10:49 AM
To: nfbmn-news <nfbmn-news at nfbnet.org>
Subject: [Nfbmn-news] Letter on Annual Convention

Dear Minnesota Federationists,

Here is a copy of the state convention letter that you received or will be receiving in the mail. The pre-registration form is also attached.

TO: National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota members and friends
FROM: Jennifer Dunnam, President
SUBJECT: 2016 Annual Convention
DATE: August 22, 2016

We of the National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota are pleased to announce plans for our upcoming annual state convention. Following is information you’ll need to know concerning logistics (including advance registration), costs, and an outline of some of the events that will take place this year.

The two-and-1/2 day convention will be held from September 30 – October 2 2016 at the  Kahler Grand Hotel at 20 SW Second Avenue, Rochester, Minnesota, 55902. This year we are pleased to have as our national representative Ron Brown, Second Vice President of the National Federation of the Blind, who also serves as president of our affiliate in Indiana.

Hotel arrangements: Room rates are $97.00 per night, plus tax, for singles, doubles, triples, and quads. Hotel reservations must be made by August 30. To reserve your hotel room, either

1) Book your room online at
https://res.windsurfercrs.com/ibe/details.aspx?propertyid=9733&nights=2&checkin=09/30/2016&group=0916NATION
or
2) call toll free  1-800-533-1655 and mention that you are with the National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota while making your reservation

Advance Registration: A pre-registration form and return envelope are enclosed with this letter, so that you can register for the convention ahead of time and avoid standing in line. Convention registration is
$10 in advance, and $15 on site.  The senior and Parents breakfasts are $15, the BLIND Inc. lunch costs $20, and the banquet is $30. If you need vegetarian meals, please mark that option on the form. For advance registration, the registration form and the payment for registration, breakfast, lunch, and banquet should be mailed no later than September 23.  Mail to:  National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota, 100 East 22nd Street, Minneapolis, MN 55404.  Checks or money orders should be made payable to NFB of Minnesota.  Please do not send cash.

If you do not pre-register for the convention, please still e-mail sstarnes at blindinc.org or call 612-872-0100 to make breakfast, lunch and banquet reservations so that we can give the hotel an accurate count. Also let her know if you will want a seat on the bus going from the Metro area, discussed below.

DUES: If you have not yet paid your $5.00 membership dues, a renewal slip is enclosed.  Please renew your membership by returning $5.00 and the slip in the enclosed envelope.  If you did not receive a slip with this letter, your dues are paid to June 1, 2017.

Transportation: For those traveling from the Twin Cities area, the Metro Chapter has organized a chartered bus to Rochester.  A seat will cost $35 whether you are traveling one way or round trip; seats for children ages 5 to 12 are $15, and children under 5 ride free. Payment will be collected on the bus by the chapter.  The bus will leave from our headquarters at 100 East 22nd Street at 11:30 A.M. on Friday morning and will depart from Rochester at 2:15 P.M. on Sunday afternoon.  You may use the pre-registration form to reserve a seat.

SCHEDULE

We will hold our traditional bake auction during the Saturday and Sunday general sessions and the Saturday evening banquet.  Door prizes will also be given during those times.  You must register and be present in the room to win.

Some events will be added to this schedule, and more details about the schedule will be made available as they are finalized.

Friday, September 30:

3:00–5:00 p.m.: Registration will be open.  Registration will also be open at other times during the convention.  If you pre-registered, be sure to stop by registration to pick up your lunch and banquet tickets.

3:00–5:00 P.M.: Exhibits and Meetings
•	Exhibits and demonstrations (open throughout the evening);
•	Resolutions committee meeting (Ryan Strunk, chair of the Resolutions
Committee, asks that you submit proposed resolutions in advance of the convention and then come participate in the discussion.  You may send your draft resolutions to Ryan at the NFB office or e-mail them to ryan.strunk at gmail.com.  To see the resolutions we have passed during the past ten years, check our Web site under “What We Do.”

5:00-7:00 P.M.: Annual meeting of the Minnesota Association of Blind Students.

7:00-8:30 P.M.: Annual meeting of the Minnesota Association to Promote the Use of Braille.

7:30 P.M.: The Minnesota Association of Blind Students invites you to an evening of hospitality and games, with opportunity to gather with friends old and new. Light snacks will be provided and there will be a cash bar.

Saturday, October 1:

7:00 A.M.: Breakfast and Annual Meeting of the NFB of Minnesota Seniors Division.

8:15 a.m.: Registration opens, and coffee and rolls will be available.

9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.: General session packed with a variety of information and discussion on current issues related to blindness.
Among other items, we will dialog with Minnesota agencies for the blind and elected officials, learn from the stories of our members and friends of all ages, and discuss our current activities and plans for the future.

12:00 p.m.: BLIND, Inc. Lunch: Celebrate the progress and accomplishments of our consumer-directed training center with a delicious lunch and a program featuring students and staff of BLIND Inc.

6:00 p.m.: Social hour with cash bar prior to our banquet.  Come and join us for more hospitality.

7:00 p.m.: Banquet. The banquet will feature an inspiring keynote address from our national representative, Ron Brown, who will no doubt remind us why we are members of this dynamic and action-oriented organization with its positive philosophy. Following the banquet, stick around with the Rochester Chapter for an after-banquet party!

Sunday, October 2:

9:00 a.m.–Noon: Business session. We will hear reports, deal with any remaining resolutions, and much more, including some creative surprises.  The positions of Vice President, Treasurer, and two board members will be up for election.

OTHER ITEMS OF NOTE

Childcare: Childcare will be provided during scheduled meetings and during the banquet. A minimum donation of $20 is requested. For more information, check the box on the pre-registration form, and we will contact you.

Cash Prizes for Essays: The Metro Chapter invites all Minnesota Federationists to participate in its annual essay contest.  Although there is not a specific essay question, the essay should be focused on experiences as a blind person and highlight a positive message or outcome.  The length of the essay should be about 2-3 pages.  The winning essay will be published in the Minnesota Bulletin, and the writer will receive $75.  Another $50 will be awarded in a random drawing from the rest of the essays, which will also be considered for publication. Both winners will be announced at the banquet on Saturday evening.  All entries must be received by September 15, 2015.  E-mail them to Kathy McGillivray at gilgal63 at gmail.com.

Our convention each year is an opportunity for the blind of our state to come together for a common cause and to educate ourselves and others.  Public services and other resources for the blind are presented, ideas are exchanged, and plans and policies for the coming year are formulated.  Make plans to join us and be a part of the excitement!