[Mn-at-large] NFB President 's Notebook - week of 06/13/2016

President, National Federation of the Blind via State-affiliate-leadership-list state-affiliate-leadership-list at nfbnet.org
Wed Jun 15 01:39:14 UTC 2016

President's Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>officeofthepresident at nfb.org

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Today the flag at the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute flies at half-mast in
solidarity with the rest of the country regarding
the tragedy in Orlando this weekend. The
challenges of world events continue to emphasize
how fragile life can be. As we prepare to head to
Orlando, I encourage each of us to keep those
impacted by the events of this weekend in our
thoughts and prayers. I also encourage us to
recognize that fear is too often used by others
to control our actions and limit our freedom. In
the National Federation of the Blind, we continue
to spread love and hope, and I urge us to bring
that spirit to Orlando in an even greater measure this year.

With humility and hope, I look forward to being
with you in Orlando in a couple of weeks.

Critical Actions This Week:

Give a High Five in Support of the Rights of Blind Parents:
During this month we are inviting others to
participate in our initiative to support
resources for, and the rights of, blind parents
to raise their children by simply giving us a
high five. Your donation of $5 (or multiples
thereof) to the National Federation of the Blind
can help keep families together. Keep an eye on
<http://www.nfb.org/vonb-blog>our blog to learn
more. Please help to promote this important work
of the Federation for Father's Day.

We Need Stories:
We are collecting stories about your experience
accessing internet content on state and local
government websites as part of our coordinated
effort to provide comments regarding the recent
<https://www.ada.gov/regs2016/sanprm.html>Supplemental
Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking issued by the Department of Justice.

State and local websites offer a variety of
programs and services including information about
voter registration, applications for state IDs,
community calendars, permits, public school
activities, and registration for classes at
colleges and universities, just to name a few
examples. Please visit
<https://nfb.org/TitleIISANPRM>nfb.org/TitleIISANPRM,
follow the directions there, and send us your
stories as soon as you can but no later than July
15, 2016. You can also get in touch with Kyle
Walls here at the NFB Jernigan Institute at
<mailto:kwalls at nfb.org>kwalls at nfb.org to submit
your story or to get more information about our
coordinated effort. Your comments will be shared
with the Department of Justice and will be
published on <http://www.regulations.gov>www.regulations.gov.

News:

Blood Drive at Convention:
I thought it would be timely to mention that we
have been planning a blood drive to be held at
our convention in Orlando. As you may know, there
is a current demand for blood in the Orlando
community. Join the National Federation of the
Blind Sports and Rec Division and WE Fit Wellness
on June 30 at the NF-BE Healthy Fair for our
first-ever OneBlood convention blood drive.
OneBlood will be taking donations from 10:00 a.m.
to 3:00 p.m. in Sebastian Ballroom J, Level 1.
While you are there, climb the rock wall, learn
to sword fight, bang on some cardio drums, and much more.

New York Voter Registration Lawsuit
The National Federation of the Blind, the Center
for Independence of the Disabled, and individual
blind plaintiffs filed a lawsuit against the New
York State Board of Elections and the Department
of Motor Vehicles. The complaint charges that
their online voter registration is inaccessible to people with disabilities.

Videos:
A video will be released Friday, June 17, in
honor of Father's Day. It can be accessed at
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiDrUAU_Ti0>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiDrUAU_Ti0.

This week's video is currently available. Julie
McGinnity explains how attending and hearing the
thousands of cane taps at an NFB National
Convention changed her life at
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp7pVyNwzvM>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp7pVyNwzvM,

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*        May 23-August 26, 2016: NFB BELL Academy
held at forty-six sites throughout the nation.
More information at
<https://nfb.org/bell-academy>https://nfb.org/bell-academy.
·        June 19-25: NFB EQ (first iteration)
*        June 30-July 5: National Federation of
the Blind Convention, Rosen Shingle Creek, Orlando, Florida
*        July 31-August 6: NFB EQ (second iteration)
*        August 2-6: NFB EQ teacher cohort
*        August 18-25: WBU and ICEVI General
Assembly, Rosen Centre, Orlando, Florida,
<http://www.wbu-icevi2016.org>www.wbu-icevi2016.org

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230