[Mn-at-large] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 09/19/ 2016

President, National Federation of the Blind OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org
Tue Sep 20 16:59:18 UTC 2016

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>officeofthepresident at nfb.org

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

This past weekend an organization released a
social media campaign with the hashtag
HowEyeSeeIt. The people using this hashtag are
making videos of themselves attempting to do
everyday tasks under blindfold with the misguided
view that this experience will help them know
what it is like to be blind. The motivation for
the campaign is to raise funds to eliminate
blindness. We in the National Federation of the
Blind know that blindness doesn't hold us back.
We also know that living with blindness requires
learning the techniques blind people use to do
everyday tasks without vision. We are not opposed
to medical research, but the way to generate
interest in medical research is not by further
spreading the fear of blindness and strengthening
misconceptions about the lived experience of blind people.

The current videos being circulated with the
#HowEyeSeeIt campaign are perpetuating the idea
that blindness is something to be feared and that
blind people adhere to low expectations. Some of
the tasks people are encouraged to do in this
campaign are having a friend give them an
unidentified amount of cash and then, under
blindfold, attempting to pay for a meal with this
money. Another particularly outrageous example is
people are asked to attempt to take care of their
child for one minute while blindfolded. At a time
when we have launched new efforts for blind
parents who have their children taken away
because of misconceptions about blindness, this
is dangerous and offensive. These examples and
the dozens of others used in the campaign rely on
the notion that vision is a requirement for
success, but we know the truth—blindness does not define us or our future.

We've published a blog,
"<https://nfb.org/blog/vonb-blog/challenging-fear-blindness>Challenging
the Fear of Blindness," that I encourage you to
share. See below for some related critical actions.

Critical Actions This Week:

Challenging the Fear of Blindness - #HowEyeSeeIt:
It is critical that we now join together to
combat this harmful campaign. I urge all
Federation leaders to lead by example and to
encourage the members of the Federation in your
state to join with me in changing the perception
that blindness is something to be feared and
something that significantly limits our lives.
Now is the time to turn our fear into power and
that power into action. We have the opportunity
to demonstrate how we live the lives we want as
blind people in a commanding way. All you have to do is:

1.       Make a video of yourself accomplishing
an everyday task as a blind person. For example,
show how you dance, sing, exercise, care for your
children, go to school or work, play sports,
manage your finances, travel, participate in
social events, enjoy your hobbies—in short, take
a video of yourself living the life you want.

2.       At the end of your video, say that
you're a proud member of the National Federation
of the Blind, and tag three friends or family
members to keep the trend going. You can also
urge your audience to make a donation to the NFB.

3.       Upload your video to social media using
the hashtag #HowEyeSeeIt. Make sure to link to
our website, <http://www.nfb.org>www.nfb.org, and
tag the NFB in your Tweet, Facebook, or Instagram
post. If the people you mentioned in your video
are on social media, be sure to tag them, too.

News:

Space Available Program:
Norma Crosby, president of the NFB of Texas, has
written an article addressing the issue with the
Space Available program. The article can be found
at
<http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/economy-budget/293784-support-thornberrys-bid-to-fix-space-available-program>http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/economy-budget/293784-support-thornberrys-bid-to-fix-space-available-program.

Video:
The most recent video, featuring Dave Hyde, can
be found at <https://youtu.be/mO8MxX_tZwQ>https://youtu.be/mO8MxX_tZwQ.

Reminders:

Meet the Blind Month:
Meet the Blind Month is fast approaching. We’d
love to hear about what members of your affiliate
are doing to go out into the community and
educate folks about blindness. This year’s
hashtag is MTBM16; please be sure to share your activities on social media.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*        <https://nfb.org/state-conventions>Fall Conventions
*        September 30-October 2: NFB BELL Academy
Training Seminar (Advanced) in Baltimore, Maryland

*        September 26:
<https://nfb.org/free-accessibility-training-boutiques>Free
Accessibility Training Boutique: Accessible
Websites, Made Accessibly: An Introduction to Drupal

*        October 20-23: NFB BELL Academy Training
Seminar (Novice/Intermediate) in Baltimore, Maryland

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230