[Mn-at-large] Weekly Update

Andrews, David B (DEED) david.b.andrews at state.mn.us
Fri Feb 10 20:29:33 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBMN-News [mailto:nfbmn-news-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jennifer Dunnam via NFBMN-News
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2017 9:46 AM
To: nfbmn-news <nfbmn-news at nfbnet.org>
Subject: [Nfbmn-news] Weekly Update

Dear Minnesota Federationists:

Apologies for the missed weekly last Friday, and thank you for the kindness and support as I dealt with the loss in my family.

☑ Seventeen Minnesotans participated in the 2017 Washington seminar and did a great job on making the case with our members of congress.
Stay tuned for more specifics and progress on actions needed, but for now, a recap of some of the highlights of the Washington Seminar is available on the Voice of the Nation’s Blind, the blog of the National Federation of the Blind at https://nfb.org/blog/vonb-blog/national-federation-blind-celebrates-successful-washington-seminar

If you have any items to be included in future weeklies, please feel free to send them along.

To-Do List (AKA Things You Can Do To Help)

☐ Check out the February issue of The Braille Monitor, our national monthly magazine:
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm17/bm1702/bm1702tc.htm

☐ If you have not already done so, please take the time to sign the petition supporting Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education; we need all of the signatures we can get. thank you to those who have done this: http://bit.ly/2k8hhp4

☐ Everyone, help spread the word about our state and national scholarship programs. If you are a student, why wait—get your application in now: http://www.nfbmn.org/students/scholarship.htm

Important Dates Coming Up Soon:

• Wednesday, March 15: Deadline for submissions to the Spring Minnesota Bulletin • Friday, March 31: Deadline for national scholarship applications http://www.nfb.org/scholarships • Saturday, April 15: Deadline for state scholarship applications http://www.nfbmn.org/students/scholarship.htm

Other dates to remember:

• Saturday, April 1: Student Seminar in Minneapolis • Thursday, April 13: Meeting of State Rehabilitation Council for the Blind http://mn.gov/deed/job-seekers/blind-visual-impaired/council/
• Wednesday, April 19: Possibilities fair for Seniors in Mankato • Saturday, May 20: Semiannual Convention • Monday July 10-Saturday July 15: 2017 National Convention in Orlando

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back http://www.nfbmn.org