[Mn-at-large] Weekly Update

Andrews, David B (DEED) david.b.andrews at state.mn.us
Fri Jan 13 15:50:55 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBMN-News [mailto:nfbmn-news-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jennifer Dunnam via NFBMN-News
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 8:57 AM
To: nfbmn-news <nfbmn-news at nfbnet.org>
Subject: [Nfbmn-news] Weekly Update

Dear Minnesota Federationists:

If you have any items to be included in future weeklies, please feel free to send them along.

Updates and Announcements

☑ Federationists came in force this past Wednesday for our Day at the Capitol. This day is very important to lay the ground-work for our legislative efforts; the face-to-face meetings, and personally delivering our message, are absolutely critical for us to build the relationships and recognition needed to improve the laws pertaining to blind people—and it takes a substantial group on that day to make this happen. Everyone there made an important contribution to making this work possible. There was quite a bit of interest and active follow-up from legislators and commitment to help with these issues:
1) Legislation to protect the civil rights of blind parents
2) legislation ensuring that new accessible voting machines can be used in Minnesota when the current machines, which are no longer made, need to be replaced;
3) Legislation to start a licensure program in Minnesota for teachers of blind students.

☑ The Central Minnesota chapter will hold its 30th annual All-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner fund-raiser on Friday, January 20th from 4:30 to 7:30 at the Eagles' Club in St. Cloud. We hope many people from throughout the state can come and be part of this special occasion.

☑ A seminar for blind students is in the works, planned for April 1, 2017. Stay tuned for details.

To-Do List (AKA Things You Can Do To Help)

☐ The deadline for articles to get into the next issue of the Minnesota Bulletin (our quarterly newsletter) is March 15. We know there are many good writers in this affiliate. Do you have a story to tell about parenting as a blind person? How about your experiences at the Day at the Capitol or the Washington Seminar? Tips for your fellow students? An article about the life of an interesting fellow Federationist? The possibilities are myriad.

☐ If you are in the metro area and wish to attend the Central Minnesota's 30th Annual Spaghetti Dinner on January 20th, please let Rob Hobson know right away but not later than January 16, so that we can plan for transportation. rhobson at blindinc.org

☐ Whether or not you will be going to the Washington seminar, take a little time to get familiar with the issues we are working on by reading the fact sheets at the following link. Everyone will have a part to play: https://nfb.org/washington-seminar

☐ Make hotel reservations for the 2017 National Convention in Orlando https://nfb.org/convention

☐ Check out the latest videos on our NFB YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/NationsBlind

☐ Help Spread the word about our national scholarship program for blind students: https://nfb.org/scholarships

☐ Encourage your friends and colleagues to follow us on Twitter
(@nfbmn) and like our page on Facebook (National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota).

☐ Attend your local chapter meeting:
http://members.tcq.net/nfbmn/chapters/index.htm

Important Dates Coming Up Soon:

• Saturday, January 14: Meeting of Board of Directors of BLIND, Incorporated • Friday, January 20th: Central Minnesota Chapter's 30th annual all-you-can-eat Spaghetti Dinner fund-raiser at the Eagles' club • Monday, January 30-Thursday, February 2: NFB Washington Seminar https://nfb.org/washington-seminar
• Thursday, February 9: State Rehabilitation Council for the Blind Meeting http://mn.gov/deed/job-seekers/blind-visual-impaired/council/

Other dates to remember:

• Wednesday, April 19: Possibilities fair for Seniors in Mankato • Saturday May 20: Semiannual Convention • Monday July 10-Saturday July 15: 2017 National Convention in Orlando

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back http://www.nfbmn.org