[Mn-at-large] NFB of MN Update

Jennifer Dunnam via NFBMN-News nfbmn-news at nfbnet.org
Mon Jul 31 02:22:58 UTC 2017

July 30, 2017

Dear Minnesota Federationists:

Just a couple of short weeks ago, 99 Minnesotans
joined thousands of our colleagues in Orlando for
the 2017 National Convention. I know that details
and perspectives on this wonderful convention
have been and will be discussed at chapter
meetings around the state, and will also be
available in upcoming issues of the braille
monitor. This year's banquet address from
President Riccobono was especially timely and
important as we consider the advances in
technology. You can read the speech at
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/2017/banquet-speech-2017.html>https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/2017/banquet-speech-2017.html
→        The National Organization of
Parents of Blind Children has set up a fund in
memory of Megan Bening, to help put technology
within reach for blind children and teens. More
details:
<http://nopbc.org/programs-and-events/item/112>http://nopbc.org/programs-and-events/item/112

☑ In a previous update, we noted that Jan
Bailey, a long-time Federationist and an alumna
of the Minnesota State Academy for the Blind, was
re-applying to serve  on the
<http://www.msa.state.mn.us/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=448295&type=d&pREC_ID=1061420>Governing
Board of the Academies, in a position designated
as "representative of the blind community." I am
happy to report that she was re-appointed to this
position, and so  We know that blind Minnesotans
have excellent representation on the governance board.

As always, if you have items for these updates, please send them along!

Important Dates Coming Up Soon:

• Thursday, August 3: Meeting of State
Rehabilitation Council for the Blind
<http://mn.gov/deed/job-seekers/blind-visual-impaired/council/>http://mn.gov/deed/job-seekers/blind-visual-impaired/council/
• Monday, August 7, 5:00 PM: Meeting of the Board
of Directors of BLIND, Inc., at 100 East 22nd Street, Minneapolis
• Saturday, August 26, 10:00 AM: Board meeting of
NFB of Minnesota in Saint Louis Park
• Saturday, September 9th: NFB of Minnesota Walk for Opportunity in Rochester
• Friday, September 29: Last day to make hotel
reservations for the annual convention
• Friday October 20-Sunday October 22: NFB of
Minnesota Annual Convention in Brooklyn Park

To-Do List (AKA Things You Can Do To Help)

☐        Make your hotel reservations
for our annual state convention of the National
Federation of the Blind of Minnesota, October
20-22, by calling (877) 303‑1681.
☐        If you use a guide dog, give
feedback (positive or negative) on your
experiences using Uber and Lyft, and encourage
anyone you know who uses a guide dog or other
service animal to do the same:
<https://nfb.org/rideshare>https://nfb.org/rideshare
☐        Check out the latest issue of
the Braille Monitor, our national monthly
flagship publication, at
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm17/bm1707/bm1707tc.htm>https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm17/bm1707/bm1707tc.htm

☐        Read the latest issue of Future
Reflections, all about the IEP process; this is
useful not only for parents of blind children but
also for any of our members who would like to be
able to help with the advocacy we do to help
children and their parents:
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr36/2/fr3602tc.htm>https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr36/2/fr3602tc.htm
☐        Call your Congressman or
Congresswoman and ask him or her to cosponsor
these three bills: the AIM HIGH Act (H.R. 1772),
the Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R.
1734), and the TIME Act (H.R. 1377). Please also
call senators Franken and Klobuchar and ask them
to cosponsor S. 732. If you aren't sure who your
representative is, find the name and contact
information by entering your zip code at
<http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/>http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/.
If you'd prefer, the number to the Capitol
Switchboard is 202-224-3121; from there, the operator can transfer you.
☐        Parents interested in learning
more or being a part of re-starting our Minnesota
Organization of Parents of Blind Children should
contact Briley O'Connor at brileyoc at gmail.com or (703) 380-8876.

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back

<http://www.nfbmn.org>http://www.nfbmn.org

Twitter: <http://www.twitter.com/nfbmn>http://www.twitter.com/nfbmn

YouTube channel:
<http://www.youtube.com/nationsblind>http://www.youtube.com/nationsblind