[Mn-at-large] Semiannual Convention Agenda

Andrews, David B (DEED) david.b.andrews at state.mn.us
Fri May 19 13:30:13 UTC 2017

From: NFBMN-News [mailto:nfbmn-news-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jennifer Dunnam via NFBMN-News
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:30 PM
To: nfbmn-news at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbmn-news] Semiannual Convention Agenda

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
OF MINNESOTA
Live the life you want.
2017 SEMIANNUAL CONVENTION
#NFBMNS17

National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota
100 East 22nd Street
Minneapolis, MN

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Registration: $5.00 if paid in advance, $10.00 if paid on the day of the convention; lunch: $9.00. If you pre-registered, please stop by to pick up your lunch ticket. When you register, you may also pay your $5 membership dues for the upcoming year if you have not already done so.

Once you have picked up your agenda and lunch ticket, please move out of the lobby area so that we can keep the line moving-thank you! Also note that there will be seating at tables in two rooms this year; the sound system will be set up so that all attendees can hear and can participate in any discussion.

Door prizes: Door prizes will be awarded throughout the morning session. To be eligible, you must be registered and in the room when your name is drawn.  (Martha Harris, door prize chair).

Childcare: Childcare will be available on the downstairs level of our building during the morning and afternoon sessions. The cost is $10 per child. Children can be dropped off at 8:30 in the morning and will need to be picked up during lunch. The convention breakout sessions will end at 4:00 at the latest. (Briley O'Connor, Coordinator).

Live Streaming: Those unable to join us in person for the day can listen to the morning session of the convention via live stream by visiting www.nfbmn.org/streaming/index.htm to find information and links to the stream.

>From Our Convention Sponsor: Accessible360, a Minnesota company,  helps businesses, government agencies, schools, and other organizations ensure their websites, apps and other digital resources are fully accessible to users with disabilities. We provide services such as accessibility auditing of existing websites and apps, technical support for organizations building new sites and apps, and customized accessibility training. We also help ensure that digital assets remain accessible through our monitoring service. Our goal is not to simply make our clients' sites accessible, but rather to teach them how to make their own sites accessible. http://accessible360.com<http://accessible360.com/>

AGENDA

8:15    Registration
Coffee and doughnuts available
Pick up: Convention agendas, lunch tickets
Purchase: Jernigan Fund Raffle Tickets (Sharon Monthei, Coordinator)

Morning Session

9:00    Call To Order

9:02    Welcome from Host Chapter
Ryan Strunk, President, Metro Chapter

9:05 Logistics and Announcements

Pro Tip #1

9:15    President's Update
Jennifer Dunnam, President, National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota

Pro Tip #2

9:30    No Joke: Students Clearing Their Own Path
Cody Beardslee, President, Minnesota Association of Blind Students

9:40    Mid-Year Treasurer's Report
Alice Hebert, Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota

Pro Tip #3

9:50    Making Web Sites Accessible
Aaron Cannon, Lead Accessibility Engineer, Accessible360

9:55    What's Happening at State Services for the Blind
Carol Pankow, Director, Minnesota State Services for the Blind

Pro Tip #4

10:20  Early Start on a Bright Future: Working with Blind Children and Teens
Michell Gip, Youth Services Coordinator, BLIND, Inc.

10:30  Fit Break
Kyle Hanneman, Fitness Consultant, Minneapolis

10:35  Organizing Parents of Blind Children
Briley O'Connor, Organizer, and Parent of a blind child

Pro Tip #5

10:45  Scholarship Announcement

10:50  The 2017 National Convention in Orlando: What to Know

10:55  Election of delegates to the 2017 National Convention

11:00  Pledges to the tenBroek Fund

Pro Tip #6

11:10  A Glimpse of Our History
Reflections from Maxine Schrader

11:15  Strong Foundations and New Directions: BLIND (Blindness: Learning In New Dimensions) Incorporated
Dan Wenzel, Executive Director, et al

11:35  The Power of Our Stories
Jeff Young, St. Cloud; Jan Bailey, Rochester; Randi Strunk, Minneapolis

11:55  Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) Plan

12:00  Announcements/Adjourn.

Lunch:

Back by popular demand! Our student division provides us with a delicious noontime meal. Relax and enjoy the company of your fellow Federationists while supporting the work of the Minnesota Association of Blind Students. (Special thanks to Leann Pischke for her assistance).

And, during the lunch break, take advantage of these opportunities:

*         Jernigan Fund Raffle Tickets are available for $10. The drawing will take place this year at the national convention, and the winner will receive an expenses-paid trip for two to the 2018 National Federation of the Blind convention in Orlando, Florida!

*         Twin Ports Chapter has the following for sale: Fishtail Colorful Band Bracelets-$1.00 each; Durable Cotton Dishcloths-$3.00 each, 2 for $5.00; Hanging Soap Cozies-$3.00 each, 2 for $5.00.

Afternoon

1:30    Concurrent afternoon sessions

National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota Seniors Division-Joyce Scanlan, President (NFB Conference Room, main floor)
Join us for an informative and interactive afternoon full of practical ideas and information about issues affecting seniors-and make your voice heard!

Minnesota Association to Promote the Use of Braille-Amy Baron, President (Communications Room, upstairs from the main floor)
Learn all the latest in the world of braille-and enjoy other fun braille activities!

Minnesota Association of Blind Students-Cody Beardslee, President (4th Floor, two levels up from the main floor)
Students are invited to a meeting for discussing all things student-related!  Don't be shy-let  your voice be heard!

Technology and Our Collective Experience (or, Buy it, Cook it, Read it, Track it, Ask it, Scan it, Send it, ...) (Lunchroom, main floor)
Technology changes ever more rapidly, creating new opportunities (and challenges) in every aspect of daily life. Come and learn about the latest technologies that can enhance the skills we already have as humans, and also bring your opinions and advice to share about apps and devices. There will be demonstrations, discussion, and no doubt debates. Present will be devices and apps from Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, various braille displays and notetakers, home gadgets, and more.

All convention activities will be concluded by 4:00 at the latest.

SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR SET-UP CREW AND CLEAN-UP CREW, ALL MADE UP OF FELLOW FEDERATIONISTS!!

The National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

For more information about the National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota, visit our Web site at http://www.nfbmn.org<http://www.nfbmn.org/> or call us at (612) 872-9363. You can also follow us on Twitter (@nfbmn) and find us on Facebook.