[Mn-at-large] NFB of MN Update

Andrews, David B (DEED) david.b.andrews at state.mn.us
Mon Sep 18 20:54:28 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBMN-News [mailto:nfbmn-news-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jennifer Dunnam via NFBMN-News
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 3:49 PM
To: nfbmn-news <nfbmn-news at nfbnet.org>
Subject: [Nfbmn-news] NFB of MN Update

September 18, 2017

Dear Minnesota Federationists:

There is lots going on as usual. If you have items for future updates, send them along!

  Some may have noticed that our Web site isn't working quite right just now, but we anticipate it being fixed shortly, hopefully before this day is out. This unfortunate hiccup happened in the process of some changes we are working on related to the web site. Never fear,
though: if you need to get to our site before the usual way is fixed, you can still do so using this link: http://members.tcq.net/nfbmn. The annual convention registration information will be there this week.

☑	This past weekend, two new chapter presidents were elected. In the
Riverbend area, Jack Rupert, who has served as president for several years, has felt he needed to step away this year for health reasons, although he will continue to be active and help. The new president is Chris Murphy. Chris works  as a technology trainer in Mankato, and he has served as chapter vice president for several years. In St. Cloud, since Jeff Young moved away from Minnesota, a new president was needed, and Bev Stavrum has been elected. Bev has served on the board of directors of our affiliate and has been an active leader in the Central Minnesota chapter. We appreciate these two leaders who have stepped up to help with the work of the Federation, and we thank the outgoing presidents, Jack and Jeff, for their great work.

→	2017 White Cane Safety Awareness Day Celebration at the Minnesota
State Capitol: The NFB of Minnesota is pleased to be collaborating with BLIND, Inc., the Minnesota State Academy for the Blind, and others on a White Cane Walk, which will be held Tuesday, October 10th,
2017 from 10:00am–12:00pm at the Minnesota State Capitol Rotunda, 75 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55155. More information and registration is available here:
http://msab.msa.state.mn.us/apps/news/article/707907

Important Dates Coming Up Soon:

(Check these out—there are quite a few new ones.)

• Saturday, September 23: BLAST (Blindness, Learning and Skills
Training) for children ages 5-13 http://www.nfbmn.org

• Friday, September 29: Last day to make hotel reservations for the annual convention

• Thursday, October 5: Next meeting of State Rehabilitation Council for the Blind http://mn.gov/deed/job-seekers/blind-visual-impaired/council/

• Tuesday, October 10: 2017 White Cane Safety Awareness Day Celebration at the Minnesota State Capitol
http://msab.msa.state.mn.us/apps/news/article/707907

• Wednesday, October 11: Last day to submit an essay to the Metro Chapter's Essay contest: http://www.nfbmn.org/contest.html

• Monday, October 16, 5:30 PM: Next meeting of board of Directors of BLIND, Inc.

• Friday, October 20-Sunday, October 22: NFB of Minnesota Annual Convention in Brooklyn Park

• Tuesday, November 14, 6:00 PM: Next meeting of Board of Directors of NFB of Minnesota, at our headquarters

• Monday, January 29, 2018: Great Gathering In, Washington DC https://nfb.org/washington-seminar

To-Do List (AKA Things You Can Do To Help)

☐	Make your hotel reservations for our annual state convention of the
National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota, October 20-22, by calling (877) 303 1681 or online here:
http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCorp.mi?resLinkData=Nat%27l%20Federation%20of%20the%20Blind%20of%20MN%5Emspnw%60dtndtna%6099.00%60USD%60false%602%6010/18/17%6010/24/17%609/29/17&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes

☐	Write an essay for the Metro Chapter essay contest:
http://members.tcq.net/nfbmn/contest.html

☐	Call your congressional representative and the senators and ask them
to cosponsor the Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 1734 and S.
732). If you aren't sure who your representative is, find the name and contact information by entering your zip code at http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/. If you'd prefer, the number to the Capitol Switchboard is 202-224-3121; from there, the operator can transfer you.

☐	If you use a guide dog, give feedback on your experiences using Uber
and Lyft, and encourage anyone you know who uses a guide dog or other service animal to do the same: https://nfb.org/rideshare

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back

http://www.nfbmn.org

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nfbmn

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/nationsblind