[MN-at-Large] [NFBMN-News] Details for our Walk for Opportunity

NFBMN President via NFBMN-News nfbmn-news at nfbnet.org
Fri Sep 11 20:15:13 UTC 2020

Fellow Federationists,

We’re just two days away from our 39th annual
Walk for Opportunity, which will take place this
Saturday, September 12, from 10:00 AM to 1:15 PM.

Whether you’re planning to walk on Saturday or
support your friends with spirit, you’ll find
information in this email you’ll want to hang
onto including connection information for our
Zoom gathering, logistics for the event, and
suggested walking routes. As always, if you have
any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.

Collecting Donations

First and foremost, remember that our Walk for
Opportunity is our state’s largest fundraiser. If
you’re planning to donate, or if you have
friends, family, or colleagues who you believe
will support us, Please submit your contributions
or make your asks now. We want to make sure we
have collected all contributions by Saturday.
Also, if you have in-hand contributions to turn
in, please contact Jennifer Dunnam at
<mailto:jennifer.dunnam1829 at gmail.com>jennifer.dunnam1829 at gmail.com.

Safety First!

Because of the Covid-19 pandemic, it is important
we take all necessary precautions to keep one
another safe and healthy throughout the course of
the day. Please keep the following in mind as you walk:

Social Distancing

Current guidance suggests gathering in groups of
no more than ten people and maintaining
appropriate social distancing of at least six
feet. While your circumstances may be slightly
different because you’re walking with people who
share your Covid bubble, please use appropriate
discretion among your group, particularly if
you’re walking with people you haven’t seen in a
while. If you do encounter another group while on
your walk, please keep the above in mind. I’m
looking forward to seeing many of you, but I also
know the friendliest thing we can do for one
another is keeping each other healthy.

If, during the course of your walk, you find that
multiple groups are getting too close together on
a route, and things are getting crowded, I
encourage you to wait a minute or two to put some distance between you.

Wearing a Mask

To protect our health and safety, it is
recommended to wear masks, particularly if we are
unable to stay six feet apart. That said, I
understand that many people will feel comfortable
foregoing a mask because they will be outside or
they will be with people they regularly see.

It will be up to each group’s discretion as to
whether its members wear masks, but the consensus
must be unanimous. No one should be made to feel
unsafe if members of their group refuse to wear a
mask. If you encounter any challenges in this
regard, please contact me immediately at (402) 730-4092.

Packing your Gear Bag

Because multiple groups will be walking in
different areas, we will not have our usual
spotters to check people in and hand out water
this year. As a result, we encourage everyone to
bring water, sunscreen, an umbrella, snacks,
extra cane tips, and anything else you might not
want to be without for a 10K walk). I’ll be out there even if it’s raining.

The Online Program

Though we won’t be able to gather in person at
the beginning and the end of our walk, we will
still have an online gathering where members can
come together. This gathering will also be
streamed to Facebook Live so the public can take
part in our celebration of freedom. We will have
our usual kick-off at 10:00, and we will wrap up
with a final presentation at 1:00 to share our
fundraising totals and reflections.

In addition, during the walk itself, we will be
hosting a program made up of reflections from our
members, demonstrations of Braille, and­most
importantly­cameos from our walkers.

If you are planning to walk, and you are
interested in calling into the meeting from the
middle of your walk, I want to hear from you.
Send me an email, and I will work with you to
schedule a time for you and your group to call in.

The connection information for both Zoom and
Facebook Live will be at the bottom of this email.

Directions

Some of you have already planned your own routes
in your communities. Others have worked with
organizers to select a route. For those in the
Minneapolis area who are still looking for a
route to walk, there are a few attached to this
email which will take you through public areas.
If you would like help finding a route or group,
you can contact Yadiel Sotomayor at
<mailto:yjsr at outlook.com>yjsr at outlook.com. If you
have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Help on the Walk

If, while you are on your walk, you find yourself
needing travel assistance, Cody Beardslee has
volunteered to help. You can reach Cody by
calling (763) 291-3711. For other issues, you can reach me at (402) 730-4092.

The T-shirt

When you’re out in the community, be sure to wear
your official Walk for Opportunity t-shirt. For
those who are curious, here’s a description:

Across the top, the t-shirt  reads "10K Walk for
Opportunity”. Below that is an artistic rendering
described below, and then a large version of the
NFBMN logo. The picture is a black-and-white
skyline­inspired by the park where we
traditionally have held the walk and the city of
Rochester­with trees and buildings reflected in a body of water.

Posting on Social Media

As always, we encourage taking pictures or videos
to document your experience. Please use the
hashtag #NFBMN when sharing your posts. In
addition, if you would like for your photos to be
included on our official pages, please send them,
with descriptions, to Sam Flax, social media
co-chair. She can be reached at
<mailto:samflax926 at gmail.com>samflax926 at gmail.com.

I am looking forward to walking and celebrating
with you in just a few short days. While this
year’s Walk for Opportunity will certainly look
different, I have no doubt it will be successful
and memorable. Thank you for being a part of it.

Warmly,

Ryan

Zoom info:

Link:
<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84440491010?pwd=Nmh5OXhXK1Fub1dRd0sxVFZWSVJDZz09>https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84440491010?pwd=Nmh5OXhXK1Fub1dRd0sxVFZWSVJDZz09

One tap mobile: +13126266799,,84440491010#,,,,,,0#,,023868#

Phone number: 312-626-6799

Meeting ID: 844 4049 1010

Passcode: 023868

Ryan Strunk, President