[MN-at-Large] 2023 Walk for Opportunity

dandrews920 at comcast.net dandrews920 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 3 00:57:58 UTC 2023

The following information comes from our Walk for Opportunity Committee,
co-chaired by Jennifer Dunnam and Harley Acy.

The National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota's 42nd Annual Walk for
Opportunity will take place on September 9, 2023. Our primary 10K route will
be in Minneapolis, around Lake of the Isles and Bde Maka Ska. We also warmly
welcome the participation of walkers on 10k routes in other parts of the
state who may be unable to join the larger group. This is our state
organization's largest fund raiser. We hope everyone can participate by
walking the ten kilometer route on September 9, but there is also plenty of
room for everyone to help, whether or not you walk. Several businesses are
also providing generous support for this event, and we will share more
information about this soon. Please read on for details of the walk, and be
sure to complete the  <https://forms.gle/diZgwYgBPR9SMYM98> online entry
form if you plan to participate.

blindness is not what holds you back.

Basics of the Walk for Opportunity

Federationists from around the state will gather at the designated starting
point on Saturday, September 9, in time for our opening ceremony at 10:00
AM. The opening ceremony will take place at the lakes and will also be
available via the Zoom platform. After that, we'll walk, wheel, run, bike,
and otherwise move forward for 10 kilometers along the beautiful lake route!
As in previous walks, there will be designated non-walkers (checkpoint
workers) to check in with groups along the route to make sure everyone has
what they need. At the half-way mark, the zoom feed will open again so that
walkers and others throughout the state can connect and share their
experiences and why this walk is important. Participants will gather at the
end for lunch and a wrap-up ceremony (also streamed on Zoom) to hear the
results of our walk and for other fun activities!

How Contributors can Donate

All participants in the Walk for Opportunity should plan to raise at least
$25.00. This is a great way for friends, family members, coworkers, and any
others to help support what we do. Your contributors may donate in the
following ways:

*         Make a donation online at  <http://www.nfbmn.org> www.nfbmn.org
(click on "Donate" . To credit the donation to a walker, the contributor
should check the box to "Add a Dedication" and then type the walk
participant's name and Walk for Opportunity in the field.;

*         Send a check, made out to the National Federation of the Blind of
Minnesota, to:
National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota
100 East 22nd Street
Minneapolis, MN 55404
(the donor should include a note with the walker's name and the words "Walk
for Opportunity").;

*         Send it via PayPal to  <mailto:info.nfbmn at gmail.com>
info.nfbmn at gmail.com;

*         Give it to a walk participant in-hand.

We have PDF fliers available to assist Federationists with soliciting
donations. The flier explains all about the National Federation of the Blind
of Minnesota and how to contribute to the Walk for Opportunity. We also have
sample emails available in case you'd like to send out emails to those you
know to request donations. If you would like some of the fliers or to
receive a sample e-mail,  <mailto:jennifer.dunnam1829 at gmail.com> contact
Jennifer Dunnam.

Online or mailed-in donations will be most convenient, but we know that many
of the contributions for the walk are sometimes presented in-person on the
day of the walk, and that is still more than welcome!

Register to Participate

Each person participating in the Walk for Opportunity should sign up as soon
as possible but no later than August 27 by filling out our
<https://forms.gle/diZgwYgBPR9SMYM98> online entry form. The form will ask
for your name, email, phone number, t-shirt size, emergency contact, if
you'll be a walker or checkpoint worker, if you know of a business that
might like to sponsor. It is important to read all information and
instructions on the form. Feel free to reach out if you need help completing
the form.

Social Media

Remember that Facebook and other social media platforms can also be a great
way to spread the word about this fund raiser and bring in on-line
donations. We will have an event set up on
<https://www.facebook.com/National-Federation-of-the-Blind-of-Minnesota-1806
45653406/> our Facebook page, so you can join and share it on your own
Facebook profile, as well as direct people to links to the event via your
status. #NFBMNWalk23

One More Thing

Now, more than ever, we in the NFB of Minnesota are working hard to protect
the rights and further opportunities for blind people of all ages, so even
if you are unable to walk with us, please seek out those donations from
friends and acquaintances, or make a donation yourself. We need the help of
all our members to make this year's Walk for Opportunity as successful as
ever! Join the fun on September 9 as we work together to raise funds and
visibility for the National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota.