[MN-at-Large] Rideshare Resolution

David Andrews dandrews920 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 21 11:45:13 UTC 2024

As you know, at our last meeting, on Sunday March 17, we passed a
Resolution dealing with the possible loss of rideshare services in
Minneapolis, possibly the Twin Cities and/or all of Minnesota. The
Resolution has been sent to the Mayor, and the members of the City
Council. Below is the Resolution.

David Andrews, President

RESOLUTION 2024-03-16

WHEREAS, rideshare services have become an important means of
reliable, affordable, and efficient transportation for many who live
and work in the Twin Cities and beyond, improving access to
employment and other opportunities in our communities, particularly
for blind people and others who do not drive; and

WHEREAS, the sustainable operation of rideshare services, now and
into the future, is dependent upon economic viability for the
companies as well as fair compensation for the drivers providing the rides; and

WHEREAS, the Minneapolis City Council recently passed an ordinance
setting minimum pay that drivers must receive for rides in Minneapolis; and

WHEREAS, as a result of the ordinance, Uber and Lyft have stated that
they will stop operating in the Metro area as of May 1, 2024; and

WHEREAS, the arrival of rideshare companies rendered the taxi
industry virtually non-existent, and public transportation and Metro
Mobility are not at all equipped to absorb the transportation needs
that would go unfulfilled in the event of such a move; and

WHEREAS, without any apparent, direct negotiations with drivers or
the city, Uber and Lyft have attempted to use their significant
customer base as leverage, urging customers to communicate opposition
to the pay increase; and

WHEREAS, the City Council enacted the ordinance and overrode a veto
from Mayor Jacob Frey without any public plan to address the
significant impact on people's lives that would be brought on by a
potential departure of Uber and Lyft; now therefore

BE IT RESOLVED by the At-Large Chapter of the National Federation of
the Blind of Minnesota at its meeting on March 17, 2024 that this
organization call upon the Minneapolis City Council, the rideshare
companies, drivers, and all others concerned to work together swiftly
and decisively to find a solution for maintaining access to
affordable, reliable, and efficient transportation in the Twin Cities
and beyond; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this organization express its eagerness
to assist in resolving this crisis in every way we can, to prevent
the devastating impacts on many lives and livelihoods that would
occur with a loss of transportation.