[musictlk] By Ear GVersus Reading Braille

Elizabeth Slaughter manutips at paulbunyan.net
Sun Dec 28 22:01:28 UTC 2008

Yes, mike, I agree with you that braille music notation is vital when
learning classical, or any venue where the musician wants to adhere
strictly to the composer. I learned braille music many years ago, but
having switched mostly from piano to organ, playing 90% of the time over
the past 25 years for african-american congregations, braille music
scores have not been as important to me.

However, I must admit having forgotten much of what I knew about braille
music, and it would only take a matter of a few days to rebuild my
skill. I would like to pursue it again, as I would like to refresh my
skill on classical pieces. One can get burned out playing one style of
music, but circumstances just turned my interest more from strictly
classical to gospels and spirituals, and I often find myself referring
to the written text for anthems. I pick up hymns by ear, but want to
give all credit to the composer of anthems, and often, the music score
is the only answer.

Perhaps, mike, you can tell me what programs I would purchase to print
and emboss piano and organ music. Have any idea about cost, systems
requirements, etc?

Elizabeth

and other music as well written by another composer, especially