[musictlk] intro

Dr. Sheri Wells-Jensen swellsj at bgsu.edu
Fri Nov 20 13:37:59 UTC 2009

Hi, Jamie,
There is something to be said, I think, about watching other people
play... otherwise why would so many sighted  musicians want to do it
so much?  but, it's not necessary.  Once you have a fingering chart
for the flute, it all comes down to practicing seriously. Seriously
to me means every day for at least a half hour or more no matter
what.  Practicing is always the answer, I think, to 'what should I
do'?  Practice even when you're not totally sure what to do.  It'll get better.

Private lessons are terrific,  but again, not necessary.  When I
start a new instrument, after I get the basics down, I
occasionally  pay someone who knows what they are doing to give me a
lesson just to make sure I'm not straying too badly afield with
posture or other bad habbits that I'll have to undo later on.
Call it one lesson every six months or so just as a check-in.  I save
tons of money that way and get the added advantage of impressing the
instructor with my progress. *grin*  Be good enough, and people will
*want* to play with you and come asking.

The other thing I do with a new instrument is google around for
accessible websites and just read a bunch of them, marking the ones I
like for later on.

Then, pick music you like an dplay along!

Happy embouchure,

Peace,
Sheri