[musictlk] INSTRUCTIONS FOR ORGAN

Ogletree Anita yorstruli at att.net
Fri Nov 20 22:14:34 UTC 2009

Good afternoon.

I am the organist for a church here in Alabama and I learned to play by ear.
I did have some formal piano lessons more than 30 years ago and the
instructor (now deceased) was also blind.  She taught me to play using
Braille lessons.

While I can manage to pull the chords together for gospel songs by listening
to the rehearsals that I recored each week, I realize that the organ is
different from the piano.  I have listened to some very talented organists
and since I do not have any idea what each of the drawbars should be set on
in order to achieve the quality sounds that really make organ music grab
those listening, I sometimes feel very uncomfortable when I play.

Of course, everyone says the music sounds good, but I credit the pianist,
who has been playing for this church for 30 years, with carrying the weight.

  I can hear how what we are playing sometimes clashes and it isn't always
easy to cover myself.

If anyone has any idea of where I might be able to get a hold of some organ
lessons of any kind it would really help.  There are not very many people
willing to teach what they know and those that I have found charge a lot
more than I can afford at this time.

Thank you, in advance, for any  help.

Anita