[musictlk] Jackie Evancho

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Sun Aug 15 03:01:40 UTC 2010

I haven't heard Charlotte Church's album for awhile, but I remember
her as having a much lighter, clearer voice. I'm afraid Jackie is
doing too much too soon.

Julie, you're correct. Most vocal coaches won't take pupils on until
they are at least 13. I worked with younger kids in Janesville,
Wisconsin, because they wanted to participate in a children's musical
theater group. I worked on posture, breathing, pronunciation, and
singing correctly as opposed to yelling, like the girl who was Annie,
the yell-singing belter.

I hope Jackie doesn't let this go to her head, or ruin her voice
later. I think a kid should be allowed to be a kid.

And, another thing, I'm not sure she understands what she's singing.
Most operas are not age-appropriate for one so young.

Well, Joshua, that's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it! Smile.

Blessings,

Linda