[musictlk] Vocal pieces in a foreign language?

Penny Golden goldpen at frontiernet.net
Wed Dec 29 04:45:08 UTC 2010

Others will help you.  I don't speak those languages, but Italian
with its 24 letters and few rules ought to be easy enough for you,
familiar as you are with Romance languages.
There is german both contracted and uncontracted.  all our german
stuff was in uncontracted braille in high school. I didn't take it,
but I knew the umaluts or learned them so I could give quizes to my
fellow students on spelling the German words.
Hadley used to teach the German with contracted braille right from
the beginning.  I know this because a friend of ours took it from an
instructor whom I knew then. You can learn the pronunciation and the
reading if you're a competent braille reader with some
diligence.   Others will have better info.
And there are available German singing records, where you hear the
man or speaker say the word or phrase.  As you imitate the sounds,
you'll soon be singing your lieder with as little accent as possible.
I used to have a friend who always told me that I ought to learn to
read German so that I could read Goethe in the original.  I wish I
had obeyed her friendly remonstrations when I was young.
Now I'm old.  but you'll get lots of help in these things. if you
read braille, you can manage both the Deutsch and the Italian.
Blessings of the New Year,
Penny.