[musictlk] conducting and lyric diction

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Mon Nov 8 18:30:51 UTC 2010

Hi Julie,

Well, I was in college a long, long time ago. I never took a course
called Lyric Diction, but I took classes in Italian, French, German
and English diction. I did most of the work orally, thus not having
to deal with IPA symbols, though I knew them in Braille. I pronounced
the assignments to the teachers at a different time, not in front of the class.

Regarding conducting, I took two semesters, and didn't get an A
either semester. I didn't have to observe anyone, as this was
impossible. I had a classmate work with me outside of class to help
me know where cuts and cues were, and to help me with other things
needed. I found that using a baton helped my beat patterns look
smooth. Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Linda