[musictlk] blind violinists?

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 05:27:25 UTC 2011

Hello,
It's perfectly possible to read violin music in Braille. I'm a pianist and use braille very often, for scores which are a lot more complex than violin music can be. So if you aren't doing it yet, just try and use braille. You really shouldn't have any issues.
I play as a soloist with orchestras pretty often. Of course this has little to do with being in the violin section, but as long as you know your music you should be OK most of the time. I would suggest that you sit next or behind the section leader so that you can listen to him or her. Entrances are generally not a problem because you can just feel when people are coming in. The only real issue I see has to do with rehearsal numbers and things like that. If your orchestra is rehearsing a long piece, you might have to go through the edition they are using and make sure to know where each rehearsal letter is in the piece, because the conductor will probably use those letters all the time.
To make it simple, if you are going to be in a high school orchestra or an amateur orchestra of any kind, it should be pretty easy to just play. If you are going to be in a professional orchestra, it will take some work but it's certainly possible to do it.

IC